Southwest Says Passengers in Texas Were Exposed to Measles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines has contacted passengers who might have been exposed to the measles virus on four different flights in the state of Texas.
The passengers in question shared a plane 16 days ago with a Southwest flyer who was later diagnosed with the ultra-contagious illness. The Centers for Disease Control helped the carrier track down all the people who might have been exposed to the virus. The health departments of Dallas and Houston are also assisting in the investigation.
Complicating matters is Southwest’s open seating policy. The CDC usually only notifies passengers within two rows of a contagious flyer, which is as far as an airborne virus can travel. However because Southwest doesn’t assign seats, it’s difficult to know which passengers sat where.
So, all passengers on the following four affected flights will get a call:
- Flight #5 Dallas (DAL) to Houston (HOU) on Aug. 21, 2018
- Flight #9 HOU to Harlingen (HRL) on Aug. 21, 2018
- Flight #665 HRL to HOU on Aug. 22, 2018
- Flight #44 HOU to DAL on Aug. 22, 2018
Passengers are being asked to monitor themselves for symptoms for 21 days, or the end of the virus incubation period, which would be until Sept. 11. Measles symptoms include fever, cough and a rash. If those symptoms occur, passengers should seek medical attention.
The CDC said passengers at the affected airports had a much smaller chance of being infected with the virus than the passengers on the planes with the sick flyer.
H/T: NBC Dallas
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees