Reminder: Southwest Offering A-List Elite Status and Status Challenge to Select Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card,
Rapid Rewards members, make sure to check your account as you might be targeted for an opportunity to receive complimentary A-List elite status for 90 days plus the opportunity to extend that A-List status for one year after just a few flights. This free status and status challenge is thanks to Southwest Airlines’ “Tier Experience” promotion, which is currently underway. While many airlines are often stingy when it comes to status-related promotions like Southwest’s current tier experience, even relatively infrequent flyers might have the opportunity to take advantage of this promotion.
The Southwest Airlines Tier Experience
The tier experience promotion is relatively straight-forward. If you have elite status with another airline and are targeted for the promo, simply enroll and you’ll automatically be upgraded to A-List status and be eligible to extend A-List status at a reduced rate.
Unlike a lot of other travel promos, the tier experience promotion is being offered to members during a variety of dates. Essentially, there isn’t a set period that applies to all members. That being said, if the promotion isn’t showing up for you now, you might be eligible in the future. (Keep in mind this promotion is not open to those who have utilized a promotional Southwest A-List match or offer in the last 12 months.)
TPG‘s Katherine Fan was offered the tier experience promotion earlier this year and was required to fly at least six segments or earn 8,750 tier qualifying points during the period starting in January and ending in March. I was offered the option to enroll in the promotion beginning in mid-February. Starting on February 14th, I was also required to fly six segments or earn 8,750 tier qualifying points by May 14th.
With A-List status renewing after just six one-way segments, three round-trip flights or 8,750 tier qualifying points, the tier experience promotion is a fantastic way for relatively infrequent flyers to extend elite status with Southwest. In fact, earning A-List status typically requires travelers to fly 25 one-way segments or earn 35,000 tier qualifying miles in a calendar year. So, in addition to obtain status, this tier experience promotion allows targeted members to extend A-List status after taking a quarter of the flights normally required.
Free elite status might seem more valuable than the ability to renew status, however, free status — as is the case with Southwest’s tier experience promo — usually only lasts 90 days. Earning a year of A-List status after just six one-way flights is arguably more valuable than three months of A-List status for free. Nonetheless, free A-List status is also quite valuable.
Rapid Rewards members with A-List status receive the following benefits:
- Priority Boarding: this includes boarding with Group A. This means, as an A-Lister, you’ll be able to select your favorite seat before most travelers and receive first access to overhead bins
- Earn 25% More Miles: A-Listers receive 25% more miles on all revenue tickets
- Priority Same-Day Stand-by: should you want to standby for an earlier flight, A-Listers receive priority on the stand-by list over non-elite flyers
- Priority Check-in and Security: at select airports, A-Listers can take advantage of Southwest’s Fly-By priority check-in and security lanes
- Dedicated Phone Line: A-Listers receive dedicated support via a select phone line which allows for quicker access to phone reps
How To Register for the Tier Experience Promotion
Rapid Rewards members can register for the Southwest Airlines tier experience promo via the Southwest Airlines app or online. First, log in to your Rapid Rewards account and navigate to your Rapid Rewards dashboard. From the dashboard, navigate to the tab labeled “Promotions.” If you’re eligible, a number should appear next to the Promotions label.
Once you’ve made your way to the promotions tab, targeted Rapid Rewards members will see the tier experience promotion. Click on the tier experience promotion and click “enroll”. Once you’ve enrolled, you should receive complimentary A-List status within 72 hours. I received upgraded status almost instantly. Once enrolled in the promotion, all travel during the promotional period will be applied to the challenge status.
It’s a quick and painless process to register for this promotion. All it takes is a minute and you’ll receive free elite status and reduced requirements to renew elite status. Additionally, should your new A-List status persuade you to pledge your allegiance to Southwest Airlines, the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card is a great way to get you closer to your next trip thanks to an up to 75,000 points; 40,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months account is open. Plus, earn an additional 35,000 points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months account is open.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image via Southwest Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.