Southwest won’t charge you a fare difference to change your flight dates or times
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the coronavirus pandemic evolves, the travel plans of millions of customers around the world remain in flux. Airlines have scrambled to respond with flight waivers and some airlines have handled the crisis better than others.
Southwest Airlines, for instance, has a long-standing policy of never charging change or cancellation fees on any booking, but has in the past billed customers for the difference in price if the new flight costs more. As Deals We Like first reported, the airline is now allowing customers to change their flights to another date at no extra cost.
Here’s what you need to know.
You’ll need to navigate to the “My Trips” tab in your Southwest account and find your booking.
At the bottom, click “change flight,” which will take you to a new page. You can change your flight date or time as long as you plan to depart and arrive at the same airports.
You’ll then be taken to another page to make changes to your dates or times. Note that Southwest makes it clear that changes outside of those conditions (i.e., departure and arrival cities) may result in a higher fare.
The coronavirus-related slowdown has repeatedly been called “unprecedented” by airlines, with at least one CEO warning earlier this month that the downturn could be worse than what was seen after 9/11, as TPG’s Edward Russell reported yesterday.
After 9/11, Southwest was notable for not cutting capacity despite the drop in demand. The airline instead postponed new aircraft deliveries and delayed planned growth.
Featured photo courtesy of Denver International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees