Southwest employees get six-week bonus from profit-sharing
Eligible Southwest Airlines employees will get a bonus in March equivalent to about six weeks of pay, thanks to the airline’s profit-sharing program.
The company said it will spend a total of $667 million on the incentive this year, up from $544 million in 2019.
That sum includes money from the airline’s settlement with Boeing over its grounded 737 MAX fleet.
“Our employees delivered outstanding results despite a challenging year, and it’s a pleasure to reward our people for all they contribute to our continued success,” Gary Kelly, Southwest’s CEO, said in a statement. “We recognize their resolve, persistence, resilience, and devotion to each other, our customers, and our cause.”
For comparison, Delta Air Lines announced last month that it would contribute $1.6 billion, or about two months’ pay, to eligible employees on Valentine’s Day. American Airlines will spend $213 million on its profit-sharing program this year, and United Airlines will pay out about $491 million.
Southwest has offered profit-sharing to its employees for 46 years. The airline said it was the first carrier to create such a program.
Featured photo courtesy of Southwest.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.