This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest flight from Chicago Midway (MDW) to Newark, New Jersey (EWR), diverted to Cleveland (CLE) after a window pane cracked during the flight.
The airline says because the window has multiple layers, the cabin maintained its pressure, and the flight landed uneventfully in Cleveland after the crew decided to divert. It was not immediately clear what caused the window to crack.
This broken layer of window pane comes after Southwest Flight 1380 had one of its engines explode and sent shrapnel through a window, cracking the glass. That incident did cause rapid depressurization of the cabin, and nearly sucked out one passenger, 43-year-old Jennifer Riordan, who later died from her injuries.
The aircraft has been taken out of service, and the window pane will undergo a maintenance review in Cleveland, Southwest told TPG in an email.
— Chaikel (@ChaikelK) May 2, 2018
The airline said its local staff in Cleveland is working to re-accommodate the flight’s 76 passengers on different aircraft to Newark.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that