Southwest Flight Diverts After Window Cracks Mid-Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest flight from Chicago Midway (MDW) to Newark, New Jersey (EWR), diverted to Cleveland (CLE) after a window pane cracked during the flight.
The airline says because the window has multiple layers, the cabin maintained its pressure, and the flight landed uneventfully in Cleveland after the crew decided to divert. It was not immediately clear what caused the window to crack.
This broken layer of window pane comes after Southwest Flight 1380 had one of its engines explode and sent shrapnel through a window, cracking the glass. That incident did cause rapid depressurization of the cabin, and nearly sucked out one passenger, 43-year-old Jennifer Riordan, who later died from her injuries.
The aircraft has been taken out of service, and the window pane will undergo a maintenance review in Cleveland, Southwest told TPG in an email.
— Chaikel (@ChaikelK) May 2, 2018
The airline said its local staff in Cleveland is working to re-accommodate the flight’s 76 passengers on different aircraft to Newark.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.