Southwest Cancelling Flights for Engine Inspections
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The fallout continues after Southwest’s fatal uncontained engine failure this past Tuesday. The airline is canceling dozens of flights across the country as it scrambles to inspect its engines following a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) airworthiness directive mandating engine inspections. Southwest plans to inspect all potentially affected engines within 30 days, requiring an aggressive inspection schedule for an airline with an all-737 fleet.
The National Transportation Safety Board’s (NTSB) preliminary investigation revealed metal fatigue in the engine that blew apart. Shrapnel from the failure struck the fuselage, blowing out a passenger window, and the sudden decompression led to passenger Jennifer Riordan being pulled partially out of the window. She later died from her injuries.
Thus far, FlightAware’s cancellation tracker has tallied 46 Southwest flight cancellations and 466 delays for Sunday, representing 1% and 11% of Southwest’s scheduled flights respectively. On Saturday, Southwest had the most flight cancellations of all airlines worldwide with 46 cancellations.
While still affecting only a minority of the carrier’s flights, you’ll still want to check your flight status before heading to the airport if you have a trip on Southwest scheduled over the next few days.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With the Southwest Premier credit card you'll earn 6,000 points each year after your cardmember anniversary. Southwest also offers one of the most lucrative airline perks - the Companion Pass.
- Our best points offer ever! Earn up to 100,000 bonus points. Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open, plus 50,000 more bonus points after spending $12,000 total on purchases in the first 12 months.
- Now enjoy more benefits and more ways to earn.
- 6,000 anniversary points each year.
- New! Earn 3X points on Southwest® purchases.
- New! Earn 2X points on local transit and commuting, including rideshare.
- New! Earn 2X points on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming.
- New! 2 EarlyBird Check-In® each year.
- All points earned count towards Companion Pass®.