Southwest adds Apple Pay, doubles cash back for Apple Card holders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Southwest has joined a host of other airlines and added Apple Pay as a payment method via its app, as first reported by Simple Flying. While on the surface that seems like good news — after all, Apple Card card holders receive 2% cash back on all Apple Pay purchases — in reality it doesn’t change much for most of us. After all, you can already load nearly any card to Apple Pay and receive your rewards.
So while the Apple Card has received generally decent reviews and works pretty well for a no-annual-fee card, there are other much better options than putting airline spend on an Apple Card:
- Both The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express offer 5x rewards on flights booked on American Express’s website, though the personal version also allows you to book directly with the airline and still earn 5x Membership Rewards. These cards have hefty annual fees, though, which may be off-putting.
- The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is another premium travel card with a high annual fee, but it earns 3x Ultimate Rewards on all travel, including airlines. It also has some of the best trip protection in case of delay or cancelation.
- If you’re looking for another no-annual-fee option, the Citi® Double Cash Card offers 2% cash back on all purchases (1% when you buy and 1% when you pay), Apple Pay or not. And as of today, cardholders of both the Citi® Double Cash Card and a ThankYou Points (TYP) earning Citi card can convert their cash back to ThankYou points — which is huge!
I’m glad to see that Southwest is jumping on the mobile pay bandwagon (which I’m a huge fan of), it’s still a better idea to put your airline spend on cards other than the Apple Card, especially when so many of them offer such high bonus categories. Next, I’m hoping for 5x cash back on all Google Pay purchases — think it’s too much to ask?
Feature photo courtesy of Apple
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees