Southwest Airlines adds 2 international routes from Phoenix
Southwest Airlines will add its first international flights from Phoenix this October, service that was announced Thursday as Southwest extended its booking schedule through Oct. 30.
The Dallas-based carrier will begin service between Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) and both Cabo San Lucas (SJD) and Puerto Vallarta (PVR) on Oct. 8, Southwest unveiled Thursday. The Los Cabos route will operate twice daily and the Puerto Vallarta route once daily.
The Mexico routes are Southwest’s first international flights from Phoenix, its seventh-largest base by departures.
The new routes were pushed out in Southwest’s regular schedule extension that was long scheduled for Thursday. Southwest updates its timetable several times a year, with the latest extension scheduled to roll out before the coronavirus concerns began to significantly impact the U.S. market.
The schedule update also included more flights on two of its intra-California routes from Long Beach (LGB), adding one additional weekday round-trip to both Oakland (OAK) and San Jose. Beginning Aug. 11, Southwest will offer five round-trip flights each weekday on both routes.
The route additions come as U.S. airlines face what many executives describe as the worst slowdown in air travel since the 9/11 attacks in 2001. Southwest has not cut capacity due to the downturn, as other airlines have, but it anticipates an at least $300 million drop in revenue in the first quarter due to fears of the disease COVID-19.
Southwest was already due to shrink capacity in the first quarter due to the Boeing 737 MAX grounding prior to the outbreak of COVID-19.
The new Long Beach flights comes as JetBlue Airways is due to end service between the Southern California airport and Oakland and San Jose in April.
Southwest will compete with American Airlines on both Phoenix routes, and with Volaris between Phoenix and Puerto Vallarta, according to Cirium schedules.
Featured image by DANIEL SLIM/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.