Asiana Airlines will suspend San Francisco flights from March 1 to April 14
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
South Korean carrier Asiana Airlines will suspend flights between Seoul and San Francisco from March 1 to April 14, 2020, the airline said in a statement to TPG on Friday.
Routes Online had reported initially on the suspension, the result of a 2013 crash that left three dead. An Asiana Boeing 777 landed just short of the runway in San Francisco on July 6, 2013. On Thursday, a South Korean court upheld a penalty that will force the airline to suspend the route for 45 days. The court pinned blame for the crash on insufficient pilot training, according to Reuters, and said the suspension was a punishment commensurate with Asiana’s culpability.
According to the Reuters report, Asiana officials believe the temporary suspension will cost the airline about $9.3 million.
The airline operates one flight per day on the route, and had tried to have the penalty withdrawn. TPG has been unable to reach Asiana to find out how affected passengers will be accommodated. We do know that, Reuters reported, South Korea’s transport ministry will ask other airlines to use larger aircraft to cover the San Francisco to Seoul route during the suspension. That will not be easy, however, as airlines typically manage the route network of their long-haul aircraft tightly and substitutions aren’t easy.
Asiana has been in a tough financial position for some time, with high debt and falling demand, and the route suspension is only going to compound the situation.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.