For $23k, you can own the world’s first 18-karat gold debit card — but we wouldn’t recommend it
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hello, hi. Nice to meet you. We’re The Points Guy. You could say we know a thing or two about credit cards here. We talk about them a lot, since we know those pieces of plastic (or metal) can really work wonders for you if you know how to, er, play your cards right.
So it’s no wonder that when we saw something about a “gold card” going viral on Twitter, our ears perked up.
But this isn’t the American Express® Gold Card we all know and love. It’s a debit card produced by the UK’s Royal Mint and it’s made of solid gold — if you’re willing to shell out a cool £18,750 ($23,200) to get one. That hefty price tag includes access to a concierge service and a card that doesn’t charge any foreign transaction or exchange fees and has “limitless spending.”
The card is made of 18-karat gold and is for people who “value high-quality luxury items that make a statement,” according to the Mint. We don’t know who these people are, but boy, do we have some questions for them.
I mean, why spend over $23,000 on a card that gets you absolutely nothing when you could, you know… not?
Take, for example, the aforementioned Amex Gold Card. The annual fee is a fraction of the price — $250 to be exact (see rates & fees) — and with it, you’ll earn 4x points on dining at restaurants and at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x on the latter), an up to $120 dining statement credit annually, and a ton of other valuable perks that can easily offset the fee. Plus, you know that every purchase you make is putting you one step closer to taking that dream flight or staying in that hotel you’ve had your eye on; it also doesn’t charge any foreign transaction fees (see rates & fees). If concierge service is that important to you, we’d like to introduce you to The Platinum Card® from American Express. You’re welcome.
Neither of the Amex cards are made of actual solid gold, but if you have $23,000 to drop on a debit card, we’d be willing to bet you can just stroll into Cartier and buy yourself a few gold Love bracelets instead. Trust us, you’d be way better off with a nice piece (or five) of jewelry and a few hundred dollars worth of annual fees than throwing more than $20,000 down the drain.
Heed our advice and you may even get a free vacation out of it. How’s that for making a statement?
Featured image courtesy of the Royal Mint.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees