This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever been walking in an amusement park or hiking up a mountain, and suddenly you see your legs breaking out in an itchy red, splotchy rash— whether on your ankles, calfs or your inner thigh? This is exercise-induced vasculitis.
Or what some tourists have dubbed “Disney rash” because of its prevalence among tourists at the iconic chain of warm-weather amusement parks.
Vasculitis is likely to affect travelers that are involved in warm-weather exercises, hence why the condition is also know as Golfer’s Vasculitis, Epcot Rash, Dollywood Rash and Hiker’s Rash, Forbes reports.
According to Dr. Janet Prystowsky, a dermatologist in private practice in New York City., the symptoms of the rash are itching, stinging and/or a burning sensation over the affected areas.
“It’s a red-to-purplish rash that looks like blotches or tiny dots on both lower legs, mostly above the ankle or on top of one’s socks,” says Dr. Prystowsky. “It is frequently associated with travel because sightseeing can entail significant amounts of time walking and standing on your feet,” she adds.
The rash can easily be mistaken for sunburn or sun poisoning, although it’s caused by heat and not the sun’s rays specifically. However, according to medical researchers, this skin rash is caused by excessive exercise in hotter temperatures. The good news is that though it can be irritating, this is a common rash that happens to otherwise healthy people and usually goes away on its own.
Generally, a person who is engaging in any warm weather vacation activities is at risk for Golfer’s Vasculitis. Forbes reports that people over the age of 50 are at greater risk than younger people, and it’s more prevalent among women than men.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that