This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever been walking in an amusement park or hiking up a mountain, and suddenly you see your legs breaking out in an itchy red, splotchy rash— whether on your ankles, calfs or your inner thigh? This is exercise-induced vasculitis.
Or what some tourists have dubbed “Disney rash” because of its prevalence among tourists at the iconic chain of warm-weather amusement parks.
Vasculitis is likely to affect travelers that are involved in warm-weather exercises, hence why the condition is also know as Golfer’s Vasculitis, Epcot Rash, Dollywood Rash and Hiker’s Rash, Forbes reports.
According to Dr. Janet Prystowsky, a dermatologist in private practice in New York City., the symptoms of the rash are itching, stinging and/or a burning sensation over the affected areas.
“It’s a red-to-purplish rash that looks like blotches or tiny dots on both lower legs, mostly above the ankle or on top of one’s socks,” says Dr. Prystowsky. “It is frequently associated with travel because sightseeing can entail significant amounts of time walking and standing on your feet,” she adds.
The rash can easily be mistaken for sunburn or sun poisoning, although it’s caused by heat and not the sun’s rays specifically. However, according to medical researchers, this skin rash is caused by excessive exercise in hotter temperatures. The good news is that though it can be irritating, this is a common rash that happens to otherwise healthy people and usually goes away on its own.
Generally, a person who is engaging in any warm weather vacation activities is at risk for Golfer’s Vasculitis. Forbes reports that people over the age of 50 are at greater risk than younger people, and it’s more prevalent among women than men.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees