Lufthansa expanding lie-flat economy Sleeper Row seat to more flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editors note: This story has been updated with new information
Following a successful trial on Lufthansa’s Frankfurt (FRA) – Sao Paolo (GRU) route in 2020, the airline will offer the “Sleeper’s Row” booking option on select long-distance flights, which allows passengers to purchase an entire row of seats to make a flat bed for an additional charge.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The surcharge ranges between 159 and 229 euros ($189 to $271), so it’s substantially cheaper than booking three or four seats at normal prices. In a statement, the airline calls the Sleeper’s Row a way to diversify its Economy Class offerings “to meet passengers’ wishes for more comfort and individuality.”
This travel option is only going to be available on certain Lufthansa routes that go 11 hours or longer from August 2, such as flights to Singapore, Los Angeles and to Sao Paolo, as well as other flights to Central America and Southern Africa.
Whether you want to sprawl out in luxury for less, or are just eager to secure more personal space the next time you fly, the so-called Sleeper’s Row lets you book three or even four adjacent seats in a single row.
In addition to all that extra space (and the peace of mind knowing you won’t have any seatmates to contend with), travelers who book Sleeper’s Row will get a few business-class perks: a premium pillow, topper and blanket, plus priority boarding.
That’s not an insignificant step up from Air New Zealand’s Skycouch experience, which is only every three seats and doesn’t include priority boarding.
Note that you can’t book the Sleeper’s Row in advance. Travellers can only reserve the block of seats at check-in or at the gate, because the option will only be available if there are enough empty seats on the aircraft to justify it. Also, the airline will only offer a maximum of three Sleeper’s Rows per flight. In other words, this isn’t an option you can plan for. You just have to show up at the airport, inquire and determine if being able to stretch out is worth an extra fee.
Passengers over six feet tall should be aware that the rows being offered for these economy beds are three or four seats. Considering the seats on a Lufthansa 747 are about 17″ wide, booking a Sleeper’s Row will be a tight fit.
Even for the vertically-challenged, the three-seat option won’t exactly mean you can fully stretch out.
Additional reporting by Mike Avila
Featured image courtesy of Lufthansa.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees