Should You Wrap Your Luggage?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airports bring out some of the best people-watching opportunities and expose some peculiar travel habits worth exploring. Whether you frequent airports or not, you’ve definitely seen travelers wheeling around their tightly plastic-wrapped suitcases, for whatever reason. And, if you’ve ever wondered why people do this, you’re not alone — we have, too.
So we asked readers in our TPG Lounge if anyone utilizes the airport wrapping services or uses a reusable fabric, and why. Among the people who chimed in, many were kind of baffled by the whole idea. Others saw it as a useful safety precaution, or necessary when their bag might burst at the seams.
“I never do it, looks tacky and honestly there isn’t much use to it.” – Yuri S
“Ended up shopping a little more than I thought in Delhi and had to get it wrapped bc I was afraid my bag was going to burst! At least this way the contents would stay within. Usually I don’t though.” – Priti P
“I recently had to wrap my hiking-style backpack in Madrid because the zipper on my carrying back had broke. Held it all together and kept the straps from being loose. Worth every penny.” – Anna P
“I don’t bother with wrapping because I don’t check anything besides clothing, and none of my clothes are super high end like $5,000 suits or Louboutin shoes that are $3,000. I put a simple TSA approved lock on the bag, and that is it.” – Matthew S
One baggage protection service, Secure Wrap, describes its wrapping service necessary to “help ensure all passengers’ peace of mind during their travel.” You can find Secure Wrap all around the world, including JFK International Airport. The service could be useful if you’re worried about theft, damage, or possibly finding unwanted items in your suitcase.
If you do wrap your luggage, though, it might be worth checking out reusable fabric wraps, or a company that uses recyclable material. It’s a win for the environment and you’ll never be wondering if that’s your suitcase coming down the baggage carousel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees