See shocking photos of Venice during the flood
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With floodwaters rising more than six feet — higher than at any other time since 1966 — the city has endured significant damage. Venice mayor Luigi Brugnaro declared a state of emergency and said the city was “on its knees,” The New York Times reported.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Amazing images are coming in from Venice, Italy, where strong storm surge and tide peak (Acqua alta), caused severe flooding last night!
Photo was sent to us by Andrea Farruggio. pic.twitter.com/WgqmipxmZt
— severe-weather.EU (@severeweatherEU) November 13, 2019
Water filled shops and restaurants, and flooded palazzos and hotel lobbies. Vaporetti sank. Saint Mark’s Basilica, the Ca’ Pesaro modern art gallery and La Fenice theater all sustained damage. The cost of the flood, Mayor Brugnaro said, could be in the millions of euros.
TPG asked readers who are currently in — or recently traveled to — Venice to share their experiences. And the photos and video clips tell a disturbing tale of seasonal high tides exacerbated by strong winds and accelerating climate change.
Images of Venice flooding sent by my niece studying at University there pic.twitter.com/iEYJrwlctM
— Sylvia Poggioli (@spoggioli1) November 13, 2019
Alberto P., a TPG reader who lives in Trieste but works in Venice, said “all the coastline from Venice to Trieste, up to Koper in Slovenia, suffered flooding The most critical situation has been registered in Venice,” he said, citing the two reported deaths, the damage to the crypts of Saint Mark’s Basilica and the countless damaged and sunken vaporetti.
The cruise port, he added, “is operating at a limited capacity.”
The right wing controlled regional council of Venice voted against taking measures to combat climate change and TWO MINUTES later had to suspend the hearing because of the flooding of Venice! pic.twitter.com/IoAoyuwvRq
— John Bleasdale (@drjonty) November 14, 2019
Nina Y. said that during her recent trip to Venice, a lot of businesses had closed because of damage from the floods. And Valerie M. shared photos from six days ago that captured the severity of the flood.
Photos from all across Venice have been pouring in, and the images are truly shocking. Have you ever traveled to Venice during the acqua alta, or do you have plans to visit soon? Sound off in the comments below.
Feature photo by TPG reader Valerie Mingle
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees