Flying across the ocean? Use your IFE to watch for shipwrecks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every so often, passengers flying across the seas notice something unexpected on their seat back entertainment flight tracking tool.
That’s right, many of the maps that show your plane’s course also show the locations of famous landmarks on the ground, and when traveling overseas, those landmarks include the sites of shipwrecks.
Including points of interest is a long-standing practice for IFE mapmakers, but the decision to include disasters occasionally brings internet ire.
Collins Aerospace, formerly known as Rockwell Collins, produces the maps for a number of carriers including American Airlines and British Airways.
It recently told The Daily Mail that many of its customers find the shipwrecks marked on the maps interesting.
“As part of our product, Collins Aerospace offers points of interest on our maps, including shipwrecks,” the company told the tabloid. “The choice to provide the points is completely based on the airline’s selection and not forced by Collins Aerospace.”
So, are you a fan of finding shipwrecks while flying? Or would you rather not be reminded of these nautical disasters while in the air?
Featured photo by: aviation-images.com/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees