Flying across the ocean? Use your IFE to watch for shipwrecks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every so often, passengers flying across the seas notice something unexpected on their seat back entertainment flight tracking tool.
That’s right, many of the maps that show your plane’s course also show the locations of famous landmarks on the ground, and when traveling overseas, those landmarks include the sites of shipwrecks.
Including points of interest is a long-standing practice for IFE mapmakers, but the decision to include disasters occasionally brings internet ire.
Collins Aerospace, formerly known as Rockwell Collins, produces the maps for a number of carriers including American Airlines and British Airways.
It recently told The Daily Mail that many of its customers find the shipwrecks marked on the maps interesting.
“As part of our product, Collins Aerospace offers points of interest on our maps, including shipwrecks,” the company told the tabloid. “The choice to provide the points is completely based on the airline’s selection and not forced by Collins Aerospace.”
So, are you a fan of finding shipwrecks while flying? Or would you rather not be reminded of these nautical disasters while in the air?
Featured photo by: aviation-images.com/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.