Flying across the ocean? Use your IFE to watch for shipwrecks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every so often, passengers flying across the seas notice something unexpected on their seat back entertainment flight tracking tool.
That’s right, many of the maps that show your plane’s course also show the locations of famous landmarks on the ground, and when traveling overseas, those landmarks include the sites of shipwrecks.
Including points of interest is a long-standing practice for IFE mapmakers, but the decision to include disasters occasionally brings internet ire.
Collins Aerospace, formerly known as Rockwell Collins, produces the maps for a number of carriers including American Airlines and British Airways.
It recently told The Daily Mail that many of its customers find the shipwrecks marked on the maps interesting.
“As part of our product, Collins Aerospace offers points of interest on our maps, including shipwrecks,” the company told the tabloid. “The choice to provide the points is completely based on the airline’s selection and not forced by Collins Aerospace.”
So, are you a fan of finding shipwrecks while flying? Or would you rather not be reminded of these nautical disasters while in the air?
Featured photo by: aviation-images.com/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.