Cab Drivers Are Turning an SFO Parking Lot Into a Literal Dump
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) has an odd problem on its hands. In a city where Uber and Lyft were founded and disrupted the taxi industry, there’s a new crappy situation that’s literally plaguing the cab business.
SFO management has had to crack down on cab drivers who are apparently urinating and defecating in the airport’s taxi parking lot, the San Francisco Examiner reports. The newspaper obtained an email from Seth Morgan, a senior transportation planner at SFO, which was sent to cab drivers last week.
“Airport staff have noticed an increased rate of urination and defecation in the rear of SFO Taxi Lot #3 and nearby stairwells,” Morgan wrote. “This creates a highly unsanitary condition and a health hazard for SFO custodians and other staff handling the materials stored in these areas.”
The airport even got the police involved, who will be increasing patrols in the parking lot along with airport security guards. Morgan said that drivers will see additional enforcement actions including suspensions, fines and/or arrests if cabbies don’t use designated restrooms — which are located near the lot and open 24/7.
“Regular patrols through this area are being added both during the day and overnight, including during open lot hours,” Morgan wrote.
Cab drivers have to park their car in line while waiting to pick up passengers at SFO, and if they leave to go to the restroom, they may lose their spot. Morgan encouraged drivers to plan their visits to the restroom appropriately to avoid being placed at the end of the queue.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees