Cab Drivers Are Turning an SFO Parking Lot Into a Literal Dump
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) has an odd problem on its hands. In a city where Uber and Lyft were founded and disrupted the taxi industry, there’s a new crappy situation that’s literally plaguing the cab business.
SFO management has had to crack down on cab drivers who are apparently urinating and defecating in the airport’s taxi parking lot, the San Francisco Examiner reports. The newspaper obtained an email from Seth Morgan, a senior transportation planner at SFO, which was sent to cab drivers last week.
“Airport staff have noticed an increased rate of urination and defecation in the rear of SFO Taxi Lot #3 and nearby stairwells,” Morgan wrote. “This creates a highly unsanitary condition and a health hazard for SFO custodians and other staff handling the materials stored in these areas.”
The airport even got the police involved, who will be increasing patrols in the parking lot along with airport security guards. Morgan said that drivers will see additional enforcement actions including suspensions, fines and/or arrests if cabbies don’t use designated restrooms — which are located near the lot and open 24/7.
“Regular patrols through this area are being added both during the day and overnight, including during open lot hours,” Morgan wrote.
Cab drivers have to park their car in line while waiting to pick up passengers at SFO, and if they leave to go to the restroom, they may lose their spot. Morgan encouraged drivers to plan their visits to the restroom appropriately to avoid being placed at the end of the queue.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.