Flights Resume at Santa Ana’s John Wayne Airport After 12-Hour Ground Stop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A power outage at a nearby substation operated by Southern California Edison resulted in a ground stop at Santa Ana/John Wayne Airport Friday night. The ground stop continued Saturday morning with flights resuming at 7 a.m. local time.
Numerous flights were impacted when the airport lost power, with all departing and arriving flights halted around 9:19 p.m. local time.
According to data provided by Flightradar24, around 30 arriving and 36 departing flights were impacted by the ground stop. Friday evening, 13 in-bound flights were forced to divert to nearby airports including Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Ontario International Airport (ONT).
Flights scheduled to depart after the ground stop were canceled or delayed until Saturday morning. As of 7 a.m. local time, seven departing flights and one arriving flight had been canceled.
Passengers traveling through the airport are still urged to contact their airline to avoid and plan around delayed or canceled flights. Major airlines have not issued any waivers as flights are expected to operate as scheduled with the ground stop lifted.
“People are not happy, but they’re rolling with it. They realize we’re doing the best we can,” a spokesperson from the airport told the Los Angeles Times in a statement.
The airport confirmed via Twitter that commercial flights are operating normally as of Saturday, with power having been restored to the airport’s terminals.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Mark Rightmire/Orange County Register via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.