8 of the Most Amazing Sand-Bottom Pools in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
White, powdery sand with gentle waves lapping on the shore… Sounds dreamy, doesn’t it? But sometimes the beach isn’t always so idyllic: seaweed, jellyfish, rocky sand, rough waves… And all that salty ocean water. What’s a beach lover to do?
One idea that some hotels are honing in on is the sand-bottom pool. It provides all of the fun of the beach with none of the annoyances. Giving guests the best of both worlds, sand-bottom pools allow swimmers to feel soft sand at their feet as they enjoy the tranquility of a clean, temperature-controlled swimming pool. Here are eight stunning sand-bottom pools and lagoons at hotels around the world.
This deluxe hotel near Tahiti’s capital city of Papeete is home to the South Pacific’s largest sand-bottom swimming pool, measuring 2,000 square meters (21,500 square feet). The manmade white-powder sand beach is equipped with loungers and umbrellas and the turquoise blue water is always the perfect temperature. And since this is French Polynesia, the hotel includes overwater bungalows with stunning views of Moorea.
It’s hard to tell where the pool ends and the beach begins at this Caribbean resort in Curaçao. Guests take the elevator up to the second floor to the pool deck, where they are greeted by miles of azure and sapphire blue water. They can relax in loungers that surround the saltwater, a sand-bottom infinity-edge pool that overlooks the Caribbean Sea or head down to the beach’s Infinity Beach Bar for beverages.
This family-friendly Hawaiian resort is situated on 25 oceanfront acres on the eastern shore of Kauai. The resort has a spacious oceanfront pool area with four swimming pools, including two lagoon pools with impressive waterfalls and a kiddie pool with a sandy bottom that’s perfect for little ones. There’s also a waterslide, hot tub and poolside lounge chairs.
King’s Pond is the most distinctive of the seven pools at the Four Seasons Resort Hualālai. This freeform saltwater pool is carved into lava rock and has a sandy bottom. It’s essentially a 1.8 million gallon swimmable aquarium that’s home to more than 4,000 tropical fish, turtles and a spotted eagle ray. Bringing the experience of the ocean to the feel of a pool, kids can learn how to snorkel and snuba (a cross between snorkel and scuba) and participate in feedings.
A Mission-inspired hotel in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale, Arizona, that recently underwent a redesign of its public spaces, The Scott has two pools: La Boca and La Playa. Set amid a leafy sanctuary, La Playa has a sand-bottom pool that offers a beach-like oasis in the center of the resort. Sandcastle building on the manmade beach is a popular pastime.
Stormalong Bay at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort in Orlando, Florida, is a 750,000-gallon, beachside wonderland. There’s a gently sloping manmade beach that leads into an expansive sand-bottom pool, as well as a lazy river and a life-size swimmable shipwreck replica. It’s also home to the highest hotel waterslides at Walt Disney World Resort, an elevated tanning deck and three whirlpool spas. This substantial resort also has three other pools.
This seaside resort in Monaco now has access to the sea bay and the Larvotto Marine Reserve thanks to their new seaside location that opened last year. But if the sea is not appealing, the resort also has a gorgeous sand-bottom lagoon surrounded by a lush garden overlooking the bay. Reserve a cabana for the ultimate day of sun and sand.
Even though there’s not a beach in sight, you can still feel the sand between your toes at the all-ages Nirvana Pool, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas’s newest. One of five swimming pools at the resort, the sand-bottom lagoon is situated among five lush acres with enhanced services, offering a calmer atmosphere than the resort’s other pools, which are known for their parties. The expansive Nirvana Pool provides sandy beaches, daybeds and cabanas, a complete bar & grill, swim-up blackjack, and a gaming lounge.
Featured Image by Monte Carlo Bay & Resort
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees