8 of the Most Amazing Sand-Bottom Pools in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
White, powdery sand with gentle waves lapping on the shore… Sounds dreamy, doesn’t it? But sometimes the beach isn’t always so idyllic: seaweed, jellyfish, rocky sand, rough waves… And all that salty ocean water. What’s a beach lover to do?
One idea that some hotels are honing in on is the sand-bottom pool. It provides all of the fun of the beach with none of the annoyances. Giving guests the best of both worlds, sand-bottom pools allow swimmers to feel soft sand at their feet as they enjoy the tranquility of a clean, temperature-controlled swimming pool. Here are eight stunning sand-bottom pools and lagoons at hotels around the world.
This deluxe hotel near Tahiti’s capital city of Papeete is home to the South Pacific’s largest sand-bottom swimming pool, measuring 2,000 square meters (21,500 square feet). The manmade white-powder sand beach is equipped with loungers and umbrellas and the turquoise blue water is always the perfect temperature. And since this is French Polynesia, the hotel includes overwater bungalows with stunning views of Moorea.
It’s hard to tell where the pool ends and the beach begins at this Caribbean resort in Curaçao. Guests take the elevator up to the second floor to the pool deck, where they are greeted by miles of azure and sapphire blue water. They can relax in loungers that surround the saltwater, a sand-bottom infinity-edge pool that overlooks the Caribbean Sea or head down to the beach’s Infinity Beach Bar for beverages.
This family-friendly Hawaiian resort is situated on 25 oceanfront acres on the eastern shore of Kauai. The resort has a spacious oceanfront pool area with four swimming pools, including two lagoon pools with impressive waterfalls and a kiddie pool with a sandy bottom that’s perfect for little ones. There’s also a waterslide, hot tub and poolside lounge chairs.
King’s Pond is the most distinctive of the seven pools at the Four Seasons Resort Hualālai. This freeform saltwater pool is carved into lava rock and has a sandy bottom. It’s essentially a 1.8 million gallon swimmable aquarium that’s home to more than 4,000 tropical fish, turtles and a spotted eagle ray. Bringing the experience of the ocean to the feel of a pool, kids can learn how to snorkel and snuba (a cross between snorkel and scuba) and participate in feedings.
A Mission-inspired hotel in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale, Arizona, that recently underwent a redesign of its public spaces, The Scott has two pools: La Boca and La Playa. Set amid a leafy sanctuary, La Playa has a sand-bottom pool that offers a beach-like oasis in the center of the resort. Sandcastle building on the manmade beach is a popular pastime.
Stormalong Bay at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort in Orlando, Florida, is a 750,000-gallon, beachside wonderland. There’s a gently sloping manmade beach that leads into an expansive sand-bottom pool, as well as a lazy river and a life-size swimmable shipwreck replica. It’s also home to the highest hotel waterslides at Walt Disney World Resort, an elevated tanning deck and three whirlpool spas. This substantial resort also has three other pools.
This seaside resort in Monaco now has access to the sea bay and the Larvotto Marine Reserve thanks to their new seaside location that opened last year. But if the sea is not appealing, the resort also has a gorgeous sand-bottom lagoon surrounded by a lush garden overlooking the bay. Reserve a cabana for the ultimate day of sun and sand.
Even though there’s not a beach in sight, you can still feel the sand between your toes at the all-ages Nirvana Pool, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas’s newest. One of five swimming pools at the resort, the sand-bottom lagoon is situated among five lush acres with enhanced services, offering a calmer atmosphere than the resort’s other pools, which are known for their parties. The expansive Nirvana Pool provides sandy beaches, daybeds and cabanas, a complete bar & grill, swim-up blackjack, and a gaming lounge.
Featured Image by Monte Carlo Bay & Resort
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.