Ryanair Drops ‘MAX’ Branding From Boeing 737 MAX 200
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ryanair, the largest low-cost carrier in Europe, has dropped the word ‘MAX’ from the exterior of one of its Boeing 737 MAX 200. Images posted to Twitter Sunday afternoon by a Renton-based aviation spotter, @AeroimagesChris, show the fifth Ryanair Boeing 737 MAX 200 to be built painted in Ryanair’s livery — without the MAX branding.
Ryanair, like many other airlines, indicates the aircraft type on the exterior of its planes just below the flight deck. The images posted to Twitter earlier today show the omission of the word ‘MAX’ on the exterior of the aircraft, which is now simply designated as a Boeing 737-8200.
Ryanair would be the first Boeing 737 MAX customer to drop the MAX title from its branding in the wake of the worldwide 737 MAX grounding.
Ryanair has 135 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft on order. The ultra-low-cost carrier is set to become the first operator of the Boeing 737 MAX 200 variation, a modified version of the Boeing 737 MAX 8. The MAX 200 was designed especially for airlines like Ryanair that operate densely-configured cabins.
As TPG‘s JT Genter reported, the aircraft could carry up to 200 passengers (hence the 200 name). Here’s a look at the seat map:
The first Boeing 737 MAX 200 rolled out of the factory in November 2018 and was expected to enter service with Ryanair in April 2019. However, due to the 737 MAX grounding, Ryanair has yet to take delivery of the 737 MAX 200.
It is not yet known whether or not the removal of the MAX branding on the aircraft was a decision made by Boeing, Ryanair, or both.
The bigger question airlines will face once the Boeing 737 MAX is cleared to fly again will be how to convince passengers to get on board. Ryanair appears to have provided an early glimpse into what may be part of its strategy.
TPG has reached out to Boeing and Ryanair at this time and will update this post with any additional information.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees