Rolls-Royce unveils new, all-electric plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rolls-Royce is one step closer to making an electric future for aviation a reality.
The British manufacturer’s aviation business is perhaps best known today for producing engines that propel planes like the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787. But, the company said, it’s committed to developing more environmentally-friendly means of getting around.
On Thursday, it announced a new single-engine plane, created to test a fully electric engine, that’s designed to be the fastest of its kind.
Late this spring Rolls-Royce plans to fly the new plane, which it’s deemed the ionBird, at record-breaking speeds in excess of 300 miles per hour.
“Building the world’s fastest all-electric aircraft is nothing less than a revolutionary step change in aviation,” Rob Watson, director of Rolls-Royce electrical said in a statement. “This is not only an important step towards the world-record attempt but will also help to develop Rolls-Royce’s capabilities and ensure that we are at the forefront of developing technology that can play a fundamental role in enabling the transition to a low-carbon global economy.”
In addition to the ionBird, Rolls-Royce is working on a number of other projects aimed reducing the aviation industry’s carbon footprint. It has partnered with Airbus to develop a hybrid-electric jet engine that could be used on single-aisle commercial aircraft, and is working with a Scandinavian regional airline to develop a fleet of all-electric commuter planes by 2030.
Featured image courtesy of Rolls-Royce.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.