Rolls-Royce unveils the largest aircraft engine testing facility in the world
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The biggest and most technologically advanced aerospace engine testing facility has completed its first test run. Rolls-Royce announced on Thursday that its Testbed 80 has debuted after almost three years in development.
Situated in Derby in the heart of England, the new testbed at Rolls-Royce’s Midlands campus will officially open in the coming months. At a whopping 7,500 square meters, the space is larger than a Premiership soccer pitch.
The testbed will be used to put aircraft engines through a range of environments and tests to determine issues and efficiency before they’re installed on aircraft. This week, Rolls-Royce first tested one of its Trent XWB engines in Testbed 80, the same engine that powers variants of the Airbus A350 aircraft.
“Today is an important landmark in our journey towards a more sustainable future for aerospace and aviation,” Rolls-Royce President of Civil Aerospace Chris Cholerton said in a statement. “Testbed 80 will not only test engines such as the Trent XWB — the world’s most efficient aero-engine in service — but also the engines and propulsion systems of the future, which will see us take another step towards decarbonisation.”
As well as the Trent XWB and Trent 1000 engines, the new testbed has the capacity to test engines of up to 155klbf thrust — that’s enough to launch a Boeing 747 on one single engine. In the future, this will include more efficient versions, such as the UltraFan demonstrator and future hybrid or all-electric engines.
Testbed 80 is equipped with a 140,000-litre fuel tank — that’s enough to fill an average car almost 3,000 times. It’s been designed to work with a variety of different fuels, including Sustainable Aviation Fuels, in line with Rolls-Royce’s decarbonization strategy.
Testbed 80 also houses an intricate web of data systems that can analyze more than 10,000 different aspects of an engine test. Scientists use this information as well as the detection of the tiniest vibrations — up to as many as 200,000 samples per second — and a powerful X-ray machine to understand exactly how the engines behave in a range of different conditions.
The information gathered from the tests done in Testbed 80 will also provide vital insights that can be used for future engine improvements.
The Testbed 80 project took Rolls-Royce nearly three years and £90 million (about $123 million) to complete.
Featured photo courtesy of Rolls-Royce
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees