Rolls-Royce unveils the largest aircraft engine testing facility in the world
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The biggest and most technologically advanced aerospace engine testing facility has completed its first test run. Rolls-Royce announced on Thursday that its Testbed 80 has debuted after almost three years in development.
Situated in Derby in the heart of England, the new testbed at Rolls-Royce’s Midlands campus will officially open in the coming months. At a whopping 7,500 square meters, the space is larger than a Premiership soccer pitch.
The testbed will be used to put aircraft engines through a range of environments and tests to determine issues and efficiency before they’re installed on aircraft. This week, Rolls-Royce first tested one of its Trent XWB engines in Testbed 80, the same engine that powers variants of the Airbus A350 aircraft.
“Today is an important landmark in our journey towards a more sustainable future for aerospace and aviation,” Rolls-Royce President of Civil Aerospace Chris Cholerton said in a statement. “Testbed 80 will not only test engines such as the Trent XWB — the world’s most efficient aero-engine in service — but also the engines and propulsion systems of the future, which will see us take another step towards decarbonisation.”
As well as the Trent XWB and Trent 1000 engines, the new testbed has the capacity to test engines of up to 155klbf thrust — that’s enough to launch a Boeing 747 on one single engine. In the future, this will include more efficient versions, such as the UltraFan demonstrator and future hybrid or all-electric engines.
Testbed 80 is equipped with a 140,000-litre fuel tank — that’s enough to fill an average car almost 3,000 times. It’s been designed to work with a variety of different fuels, including Sustainable Aviation Fuels, in line with Rolls-Royce’s decarbonization strategy.
Testbed 80 also houses an intricate web of data systems that can analyze more than 10,000 different aspects of an engine test. Scientists use this information as well as the detection of the tiniest vibrations — up to as many as 200,000 samples per second — and a powerful X-ray machine to understand exactly how the engines behave in a range of different conditions.
The information gathered from the tests done in Testbed 80 will also provide vital insights that can be used for future engine improvements.
The Testbed 80 project took Rolls-Royce nearly three years and £90 million (about $123 million) to complete.
Featured photo courtesy of Rolls-Royce
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.