Rolls-Royce Plans to Debut World’s Fastest Electric Plane by 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rolls-Royce wants to go green — and quickly.
The British brand is designing the fastest all-electric aircraft in the skies, with its estimated debut date in 2020. The current record among all-electric planes is 210 mph, set by a Siemens aircraft in 2017. Rolls-Royce’s, however, is aiming for 300 mph.
“This plane will be powered by a state-of-the-art electrical system and the most powerful battery ever built for flight,” said Aircraft Project Manager Matheu Parr. The world’s most energy-dense aircraft battery pack provides enough power to propel the plane 200 miles on a single charge, and the zero-emissions aircraft will reach top speeds of at least 300 mph. The electricity-powered propellers will also make the overall experience smoother and quieter, since the energy-conscious propellers spin at a lower pace than those on standard, fuel-powered aircraft.
If all goes according to plan, the Rolls-Royce plane will make its inaugural debut in Wales next year.
Fossil fuels aren’t an eternal resource, and the aviation industry is looking for a viable long-term solution. The quieter propellers could even result in routes to regions that do not permit air travel due to noise restrictions.
Rolls-Royce isn’t the only player in the space. Entities around the world are working on more than 100 electric aircraft projects, and a spokesperson for London Heathrow (LHR) anticipates seeing all-electric commercial aircraft in major airports by 2030. The airport has also offered incentives of around $1 million for the first successful carrier that begins operating an electric-hybrid aircraft out of Heathrow.
Featured image courtesy of Rolls-Royce.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.