Rolls-Royce Plans to Debut World’s Fastest Electric Plane by 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rolls-Royce wants to go green — and quickly.
The British brand is designing the fastest all-electric aircraft in the skies, with its estimated debut date in 2020. The current record among all-electric planes is 210 mph, set by a Siemens aircraft in 2017. Rolls-Royce’s, however, is aiming for 300 mph.
“This plane will be powered by a state-of-the-art electrical system and the most powerful battery ever built for flight,” said Aircraft Project Manager Matheu Parr. The world’s most energy-dense aircraft battery pack provides enough power to propel the plane 200 miles on a single charge, and the zero-emissions aircraft will reach top speeds of at least 300 mph. The electricity-powered propellers will also make the overall experience smoother and quieter, since the energy-conscious propellers spin at a lower pace than those on standard, fuel-powered aircraft.
If all goes according to plan, the Rolls-Royce plane will make its inaugural debut in Wales next year.
Fossil fuels aren’t an eternal resource, and the aviation industry is looking for a viable long-term solution. The quieter propellers could even result in routes to regions that do not permit air travel due to noise restrictions.
Rolls-Royce isn’t the only player in the space. Entities around the world are working on more than 100 electric aircraft projects, and a spokesperson for London Heathrow (LHR) anticipates seeing all-electric commercial aircraft in major airports by 2030. The airport has also offered incentives of around $1 million for the first successful carrier that begins operating an electric-hybrid aircraft out of Heathrow.
Featured image courtesy of Rolls-Royce.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.