Rolls-Royce Plans to Debut World’s Fastest Electric Plane by 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rolls-Royce wants to go green — and quickly.
The British brand is designing the fastest all-electric aircraft in the skies, with its estimated debut date in 2020. The current record among all-electric planes is 210 mph, set by a Siemens aircraft in 2017. Rolls-Royce’s, however, is aiming for 300 mph.
“This plane will be powered by a state-of-the-art electrical system and the most powerful battery ever built for flight,” said Aircraft Project Manager Matheu Parr. The world’s most energy-dense aircraft battery pack provides enough power to propel the plane 200 miles on a single charge, and the zero-emissions aircraft will reach top speeds of at least 300 mph. The electricity-powered propellers will also make the overall experience smoother and quieter, since the energy-conscious propellers spin at a lower pace than those on standard, fuel-powered aircraft.
If all goes according to plan, the Rolls-Royce plane will make its inaugural debut in Wales next year.
Fossil fuels aren’t an eternal resource, and the aviation industry is looking for a viable long-term solution. The quieter propellers could even result in routes to regions that do not permit air travel due to noise restrictions.
Rolls-Royce isn’t the only player in the space. Entities around the world are working on more than 100 electric aircraft projects, and a spokesperson for London Heathrow (LHR) anticipates seeing all-electric commercial aircraft in major airports by 2030. The airport has also offered incentives of around $1 million for the first successful carrier that begins operating an electric-hybrid aircraft out of Heathrow.
Featured image courtesy of Rolls-Royce.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees