The Ritz-Carlton Maldives is opening May 2021 — and is now bookable on points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: The story has been updated with the latest information.
The Maldives are at or near the top of many travelers’ lists — and the good news is that it’s even easier now to stay on points.
While originally slated to open later this year, the Ritz-Carlton Maldives is now scheduled to begin operations in May 2021. And in the midst of a global pandemic, the hotel has now begun accepting bookings.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The Ritz-Carlton Maldives will be a Category 8 Marriott Bonvoy property (the highest award tier), and with Marriott’s award chart, that means it’ll cost the following:
- 70,000 points per night during off-peak season
- 85,000 points per night during standard season
- 100,000 points per night during peak season
Keep in mind you’ll get a fifth night free on points redemptions.
The property will join two other properties on the newly developed Fari Islands. The 100-villa resort will be located in the North Malé Atoll and will offer a combination of land and overwater villas.
“The Ritz Carlton Maldives, Fari Island are expected to range in size from one to three bedrooms, featuring the refined elegance and legendary service that define The Ritz-Carlton brand. The property is also expected to offer a choice of outstanding culinary venues serving an array of international and local cuisines, in addition to a full suite of fitness and recreational facilities, including a signature Ritz-Carlton Spa,” reports the Economic Times.
Marriott International is developing the resort with CPRC (Maldives), which is part of the Pontiac Land Group (Pontiac Land), based out of Singapore. Currently, there are two other properties on the archipelago being developed as well: the Capella Maldives, set to open in 2021, and the Patina Maldives.
The nice part about this location is it’s proximity to Malè, the city most tourists fly into when staying in the Maldives. Marriott says that guests will have the option of taking a quick 50-minute speedboat or a 10-minute seaplane flight to get to the resort.
This is considerably closer compared to the journey to more remote resorts like the Conrad Maldives or the St. Regis Maldives. To get to the St. Regis Maldives, for example, you have no choice but to take a seaplane and it doesn’t come cheap — we’re talking $745 per person. Meanwhile, a speedboat transfer to Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi will set you back $862 per person, so make sure you do your homework before choosing between plane or boat.
Either way, this is an exciting new addition to the Maldives for award travelers. Now it’s time to work on building your Bonvoy points balance so you can escape to the Maldives when the property opens to guests in May 2021.
Additional reporting by Liz Hund.
Featured photo courtesy of hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card offers a lot of the same benefits and a great sign-up bonus. If you're looking to jump start your Bonvoy rewards earning, this card is a good option.
- Earn 3 Free Nights (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after qualifying purchases + 10X total points on eligible purchases in select categories.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Earn up to 17X total Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy® with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Card.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year. Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Bonvoy points and get Free Night Stays faster.