This Machine Transforms Unwanted Halloween Candy Into Reese’s Cups
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Remember all the candy you begrudgingly dropped into your pillowcase or jack-o’-lantern bucket as a child during Halloween? Unimpressive candy corn and jaw-locking Tootsie Rolls; polarizing licorice sticks; little baggies of semi-crushed pretzels; repellent raisins — the (horrifying) list goes on.
Fortunately, if you’re trick-or-treating with kids in New York City this Halloween (or you just happen to have a lot of second-rate candy on hand) you’re in luck.
The “Reese’s Halloween Candy Converter Machine” just opened up in Washington Square Park on 5th Avenue. And it’s exactly what it sounds like. Now, you can swap your banana-flavored Laffy Taffy’s and Necco Wafers for the good stuff: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. No longer will your piles of rejected candy end up in the trash.
— Todd Coopee (@ToddCoopee) October 31, 2018
According to Anna Lingeris, a spokesperson for The Hershey Company, more than half of candy-buyers shop for Reese’s products. And even more — about 90% of Americans — have traded, or wished they could trade, unwanted candy on All Hallows’ Eve. That’s why the popular chocolate manufacturer has decided to alleviate our sugary woes this year.
The Candy Converter, which made its original debut on Oct. 28 at a Halloween Festival in Tarrytown, New York, is simple to use. All you have to do it put your unwanted candy into the machine, which it conjures Reese’s Cups instead.
For the New York City setup, which will accept exchanges until 9pm on Oct. 31, Hershey’s has allotted up to 10,000 Reese’s Cups for trade. After that, unfortunately, the machine will disappear into the night.
“This has been quite the day and we love the feedback from our fans,” Lingeris, a spokesperson for The Hershey Company, told CNN. “Maybe we will bring the Reese’s Candy Exchange to other cities; stay tuned for Halloween 2019.”
So wherever you are in the world, hold on to those butterscotch-flavored hard candies until next year. After all, no one wants to miss out on free candy.
Featured image via @reeses
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees