Record summer: TSA’s 9 busiest days ever have all come since May
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer is unofficially over, and the Transportation Security Administration has taken the opportunity to take stock of the travel season that closed out.
The agency said it screened more passengers than ever — 262 million — between the Wednesday before Memorial Day and the Tuesday after Labor Day. It also screened 164 million bags in the same period.
The TSA said that period included nine of the 10 busiest days in its history for screenings.
On July 7, TSA agents screened almost 2.8 million passengers, making it the busiest day in the agency’s history.
Over the course of the summer, nearly all passengers waited less than 30 minutes in regular screening lines, and less than 10 minutes in PreCheck lines, according to the TSA’s statement.
To make your wait as short as possible, check out TPG’s list of all the airlines that offer PreCheck, and advice on the best credit cards for enrollment if you aren’t already a member.
The ten busiest days for passenger screening in TSA history are:
- July 7, 2019 (2,795,369 passengers screened)
- May 24, 2019 (2,792,670)
- July 19, 2019 (2,776,960)
- June 21, 2019 (2,772,903)
- July 8, 2019 (2,748,718)
- Aug. 1, 2019 (2,742,882)
- July 26, 2019 (2,732,770)
- Aug. 2, 2019 (2,730,936)
- June 28, 2019 (2,730,515)
- Nov. 25, 2018 (2,730,081)
Featured photo by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees