Record summer: TSA’s 9 busiest days ever have all come since May
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer is unofficially over, and the Transportation Security Administration has taken the opportunity to take stock of the travel season that closed out.
The agency said it screened more passengers than ever — 262 million — between the Wednesday before Memorial Day and the Tuesday after Labor Day. It also screened 164 million bags in the same period.
The TSA said that period included nine of the 10 busiest days in its history for screenings.
On July 7, TSA agents screened almost 2.8 million passengers, making it the busiest day in the agency’s history.
Over the course of the summer, nearly all passengers waited less than 30 minutes in regular screening lines, and less than 10 minutes in PreCheck lines, according to the TSA’s statement.
To make your wait as short as possible, check out TPG’s list of all the airlines that offer PreCheck, and advice on the best credit cards for enrollment if you aren’t already a member.
The ten busiest days for passenger screening in TSA history are:
- July 7, 2019 (2,795,369 passengers screened)
- May 24, 2019 (2,792,670)
- July 19, 2019 (2,776,960)
- June 21, 2019 (2,772,903)
- July 8, 2019 (2,748,718)
- Aug. 1, 2019 (2,742,882)
- July 26, 2019 (2,732,770)
- Aug. 2, 2019 (2,730,936)
- June 28, 2019 (2,730,515)
- Nov. 25, 2018 (2,730,081)
Featured photo by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.