Record summer: TSA’s 9 busiest days ever have all come since May
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer is unofficially over, and the Transportation Security Administration has taken the opportunity to take stock of the travel season that closed out.
The agency said it screened more passengers than ever — 262 million — between the Wednesday before Memorial Day and the Tuesday after Labor Day. It also screened 164 million bags in the same period.
The TSA said that period included nine of the 10 busiest days in its history for screenings.
On July 7, TSA agents screened almost 2.8 million passengers, making it the busiest day in the agency’s history.
Over the course of the summer, nearly all passengers waited less than 30 minutes in regular screening lines, and less than 10 minutes in PreCheck lines, according to the TSA’s statement.
To make your wait as short as possible, check out TPG’s list of all the airlines that offer PreCheck, and advice on the best credit cards for enrollment if you aren’t already a member.
The ten busiest days for passenger screening in TSA history are:
- July 7, 2019 (2,795,369 passengers screened)
- May 24, 2019 (2,792,670)
- July 19, 2019 (2,776,960)
- June 21, 2019 (2,772,903)
- July 8, 2019 (2,748,718)
- Aug. 1, 2019 (2,742,882)
- July 26, 2019 (2,732,770)
- Aug. 2, 2019 (2,730,936)
- June 28, 2019 (2,730,515)
- Nov. 25, 2018 (2,730,081)
Featured photo by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees