TPG Reader Hall of Fame: 18 months, 20 countries and a million points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today’s TPG Reader Hall of Fame story comes to you from Joey and Kara, a power (points) couple midway through a trip spanning 9 months, three continents and well over a million points. Let’s see how they did it.
Kara and Joey knew well in advance that they’d be traveling so they were able to spend 18 months saving up for the trip. Kara, a former auditor, traveled a lot for work and was able to save points for personal use. While she had a nice little stash, they’ve also used welcome bonuses from travel rewards credit cards to accumulate a sizable balance, including:
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card — Earn 150,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card — Earn 150,000 Hilton points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening
- Chase Sapphire Reserve — Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months from account opening.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card – Earn 75,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months. Plus, earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants within the first six months of card membership.
- World of Hyatt Credit Card– Earn up to 60,000 bonus points: 30,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening. Plus, up to 30,000 more bonus points by earning 2x bonus points total spent on purchases that normally earn 1x point, on up to $15,000 in the first six months of account opening.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
They’ve also continued to put all regular spending on credit cards, while offering to pay friends’ restaurant tabs in exchange for Venmo payments. All told, they’ve spent 1.2 million points on hotels and flights thus far, with a focus on free — not luxury. This means they’ve legged it in long-haul economy, gaining incredible value on flights such as Detroit (DTW) to Lima (LIM), which cost just 17,500 American Airlines AAdvantage miles off-peak for a route that would normally run them $1,000+.
They’ve used the annual free nights afforded by their credit cards for hotel stays, in addition to Hilton, Marriott, IHG and Hyatt points in order to maximize their savings. Combined with Airbnb stays and housesitting, they’re making their way around the world for free. Here’s the breakdown of the points they’ve spent:
|Program||Points used||Overall value received (less expenses incurred)||Overall cents per point||Current TPG valuation|
|World of Hyatt||104,000||$2,100.89||2.02||1.70|
|Chase Ultimate Rewards||262,000||$10,324.56||3.94||2.00|
Here’s how they’ve redeemed them:
|Savings type||City||Name||Points used||Cents per point
||Valuation @ booking (TPG)|
|Flight||Detroit to Lima, Peru||American Airlines||35,000||5.43||1.4|
|Flight||Rio de Janeiro to Lisbon||Air France||72,000||4.32||2.1|
|Flight||Rome to Bali||United Airlines||90,000||3.22||1.3|
|Flight||Bangkok to Lima||United Airlines||100,000||4.32||2.0|
|Flight||Lima to Detroit (Joey)||American Airlines||17,500||7.08||1.4|
|Flight||Lima to Missoula (Kara)||American Airlines||17,500||6.68||1.4|
|Savings Type||City||Name||Points used||Cents per point||Valuation @ booking (TPG)|
|Hotel rewards||Zurich, Switzerland||Hilton Zurich Airport||200,000 (50k / night)||0.59||0.6|
|Hotel rewards||Zurich, Switzerland||Hilton Zurich Airport||48,000 (48k / night)||0.59||0.6|
|Hotel rewards||Bali, Indonesia||Hilton Bali Resort||96,000 (48k / night)||0.42||0.6|
|Hotel rewards||Bali, Indonesia||Hilton Bali Resort||60,000 (30k / night)||0.45||0.6|
|Hotel rewards||Singapore, Singapore||Grand Hyatt Singapore||54,000 (27k / night)||2.05||1.7|
|Hotel rewards||London, U.K.||St James Hyatt Hotel||50,000 (25k / night)||1.98||1.7|
|Hotel rewards||Amsterdam, Netherlands||Renaissance Amsterdam||250,000 (42k / night)||0.66||0.8|
|Hotel rewards||Munich, Germany||Holiday Inn – City Centre||140,000 (35k / night)||1.56||0.7|
These incredibly detailed charts come courtesy of Kara, whose fabulous spreadsheet shows just exactly how much value points can have. And while they haven’t always redeemed points for maximum value, that’s OK. In total, they’ve saved over $20,000 by making smart redemptions where it counts, so that their trip is truly priceless.
All photos courtesy of Kara Patterson
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees