Rare EWR-JNB business class award space open through 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve got South Africa on your 2021 travel bucket list, you’re in luck: United is currently offering wide-open saver award space on the Newark (EWR)-Johannesburg (JNB) route through November 2021, as first reported by View from the Wing. You can find at least two open seats on each flight, most of which are operated by Ethiopian Airlines, Swiss and Lufthansa. You’ll need 88,000 – 92,500 United miles each way per ticket, depending on your travel date.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
United miles are fairly easy to get at the last minute, thanks to a partnership with Chase Ultimate Rewards. You can simply transfer your UR points to United at a 1:1 ratio. The miles will be available pretty much instantly. Just keep in mind that since it is Christmas, if there are any technical issues with your transfer, you probably won’t have an easy time getting it resolved today.
In November, the South African government announced it would lift all travel restrictions, welcoming tourists from all over the world. If you do take advantage of this open award space, just keep in mind that you’ll need to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of departure. You’ll also be subject to the following restrictions:
- Face masks are required in all public spaces
- A curfew is in effect every night from midnight until 4 a.m.
- Gatherings will be restricted to 50 percent of the venue’s capacity, with 250 people allowed at a maximum indoors, or 500 people maximum at outdoor venues;
- Individuals may purchase alcohol between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
This is a great opportunity to score a rare award on some terrific airlines. Just keep in mind that travel restrictions could change at any moment. With the coronavirus vaccine likely not becoming available to the general public until summer, it’s probably best to book your travel for fall 2021 to be safe.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.