New Rakuten Dining program: Earn 5% back (or 5x Amex MR) at restaurants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Called Rakuten Dining, the new program offers an introductory 5% cash back on dining at more than 10,000 restaurants nationwide and is available on the Rakuten app. Even better, the 5% cash back is applied to your entire bill when you dine at a participating restaurnt. You can link your credit card (more on that below) and pay at the restaurant.
Some of the thousands of restaurants include Buca di Beppo, Umami Burger, Fogo de Chao, Johnny Rockets, Gordon Biersch Brewery and Midici Pizza.
“This collaboration will drive more visits to restaurants and create immediate scale for Rakuten Dining and our everyday rewards program,” said Rakuten CEO Amit Patel in a statement.
Here’s how to link your card.
You will need to install the Rakuten App and sign in, or sign up if you don’t have an account. Go to “My Account” and tap “Add Credit Card,” then tap “Enable.” If you already have a credit card added to your account, skip those steps and tap “Enable.” Note that you won’t see the option to add restaurants if you don’t follow these steps. Also keep in mind that the app is currently only available for the iOS app.
If you don’t want cash back, you should know that new Rakuten (formerly Ebates) members can earn Amex Membership Rewards points. However, this points option is only available to new members who enrolled after the option to earn MR points was introduced earlier this year. If you want to earn Membership Rewards points (worth 2 cents each, according to TPG’s most recent valuations) you or someone in your household will need to create a new account through this link. Even better, if you’re signing up for the first time, you’ll earn 1,500 MR points after spending $25 within 90 days of becoming a member, worth $30.
The best thing about this deal is you’ll still earn points, miles or cash back from your linked travel rewards credit card in addition to the cash back or Membership Rewards points from Rakuten. Your best bet is using one of the best credit cards for dining, which include the American Express® Gold Card (4x on dining), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on dining) and Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card (4% back on dining). The information for the Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
For instance, the Amex Gold Card comes offers 4x points on dining around the world, which is an 8% return based on our valuation of Amex Membership Rewards points. You can easily link your Amex Gold card to your Rakuten Dining account and double dip rewards.
Featured photo courtesy of Matt Dutile/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.