Calling all Queen’s Gambit fans: There’s a new hotel room in Lexington, KY, just for you
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Did you binge Netflix’s hit show “The Queen’s Gambit” during quarantine like we did? If so, we’ve got good news.
Now, fans can take their love of all things chess and Beth Harmon one step further by booking “The Harmon Room” at the 21c Museum Hotel in Lexington, KY, where the show is set. The hotel describes the room as “a retro time capsule of American mid-century modern design.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
So what can you expect if you book? The room is “completely decked out in mid-century modern décor, vintage accessories, chess books and sets, and custom artwork.” The project features period furniture from both private collections and local antique shop, Scout Antique & Modern, as well as custom “Knight’s Gambit” patterned wallpaper. The pièce de résistance, however, is a larger-than-life chessboard installation that can be found suspended from the ceiling above the bed.
The room was designed by Lexington-based Isabel Ladd, mid-century modern maven Lucy Jones, and design duo Ferrick Mason, and is also adorned with show-worthy items including reproductions of the “Lex Liquors” tote bags (which guests can take home), copies of Chess Review magazine and rare books on loan from local Black Swan Books.
The room is available for a “limited time only,” so if a stay here piques your interest, don’t wait around. Here’s how to book:
- Follow this link to select the dates of your stay
- Make sure the code “HARMON” is listed in the Preferential code field under the Special rates tab
- Choose the Corner King room option
- Click Select a Rate
- Toggle to the Package tab and look for “The Harmon Room” option (the rate will not appear if the room is unavailable for the requested date(s))
A sample search for one night on January 19 showed the following rate of $349 per night ($405 with taxes and fees).
To help you plan your stay in Lexington, 21c is working with VisitLEX to round out your trip with show-related activities, including a visit to the Herald-Leader offices, the original Morris Bookstore, Ben Snyder’s Department Store and the Henry Clay High School. TPG’s own Caitlin Riddell, a Lexington afficiando, also offers the following recommendations while in town (fun fact: Riddell’s dad and his 10 siblings grew up just around the corner from Henry Clay’s current location):
- Stop by Magee’s Bakery for something sweet
- Hit up Wheeler’s Pharmacy for one of their iconic Buddy burgers
- Make a trip to Keeneland, the Horse Capital of the World
- Order a Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich at Ramsey’s Diner
- Sip on something delicious at one of the local bourbon distilleries…
- … but make sure to save room for a visit to the West 6th brewery.
21c hotels are part of the Accor Live Limitless loyalty program. Accor has five levels of elite status, though none but the two highest tiers offer compelling benefits. Platinum and Diamond status come with access to an executive lounge when available and a Suite Night Upgrade, valid for only a single night. Diamond comes with some other perks, such as complimentary breakfast on weekends and dining and spa credits, but nothing anywhere near as generous as elite status with most other hotel chains.
Feature image courtesy of the hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees