Free elite status, in-flight Wi-Fi and more: Why you’ll want to join Qatar Airways’ new membership program for students
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As business travel remains largely suppressed, travel companies are targeting more leisure travelers to drive demand. More specifically, many companies are betting on millennials and Gen Z to spearhead post-pandemic recovery. Among them: Qatar Airways.
Qatar Airways has just introduced a new membership program exclusively for students. Dubbed Student Club, the new program offers students a number of benefits, ranging from special fares to excess baggage allowance, greater ticket flexibility, complimentary high-speed in-flight Wi-Fi, free elite status as a graduation gift and more.
Despite Qatar Airways being based in the Middle East, the program is available to students worldwide and is free to join. Here’s everything you need to know about Qatar Airways’ Student Club.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter!
How to join Qatar Airways Student Club
Student Club is available to students around the world free of charge. The only major requirements are that you must be pursuing a higher education degree and be between ages 18 and 30. It operates as a subset of Qatar Airways’ Privilege Club loyalty program, so you’ll still get Qmiles as usual if you join.
Joining is very easy and is done through Qatar Airways’ website. Heck, you could even sign in using a social media account — very millennial and Gen Z friendly. You’ll just need to provide your college or university’s name, location, expected graduation date and a photo of your student ID or joining letter. The maximum duration for membership in the program is seven years.
Related: How to travel as a college student
Qatar Airways Student Club benefits
As a member of the Qatar Airways Student Club, you’ll enjoy a number of exclusive benefits that will help you save money and make your travel experiences more enjoyable. For starters, you’ll get access to special fares on flights. You’ll get a 10% promo code off your first trip, 15% off your second and 20% off your third. Plus, student fares offer increased flexibility, including one free date change per ticket.
Once it’s time to travel, base-level members will get to bring an additional 10 kgs (22 lbs) or one more piece of checked baggage, depending on the route. Then, onboard, you’ll get complimentary access to Qatar Airways’ high-speed Super Wi-Fi (as long as you booked your flight directly through the airline).
Perhaps the most valuable benefit of the program comes when you graduate. As a “graduation gift,” you’ll get a Privilege Club tier upgrade so long as you’ve flown at least one paid round-trip journey per year as a Student Club member. So, if you don’t already have status with the airline, you’ll get free Silver elite status, unlocking perks like excess baggage allowance and lounge access. If you’re already a top-tier Platinum member, your status will be extended for another year.
The airline says that it’s also planning to introduce family benefits for when relatives come to visit you. Details are limited, but it seems that Student Club members will be able to designated flight companions to receive savings on airfare. Additionally, students will have the opportunity to earn 5,000 Qmiles for referring friends to Student Club.
Other benefits available to students
Qatar Airways joins a number of other airlines that are already marketing to younger travelers. For instance, now through at least Dec. 31, United MileagePlus members between the ages of 18 and 22 can save up to 10% on flights booked through United’s mobile app. As of earlier this year, miles no longer expire for American Airlines AAdvantage members under 21. Additionally, airlines like Air Canada and Lufthansa have loyalty programs just for kids.
Qatar Airways’ new Student Club program offers valuable benefits and is free to join, so there’s no reason not to take advantage. Although most perks are for travel on Qatar Airways, the free elite status could get you benefits on partner airlines like American Airlines and British Airways. As travel companies shift their marketing strategies, it’s likely we’ll see more airlines introduce special perks for young travelers in the coming months.
Featured image by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees