Qatar Airways Adds Cash Fee for Redeeming Your Miles
Qatar Airways is going to start charging you to redeem your Qmiles. That’s right, the airline is getting set to start charging you a cash fee, varying in price based on cabin, for any award booking made with your miles.
Beginning May 27, 2018, Qatar will start charging booking fees for both Qatar and partner airline awards. The charge is a minimum of $25 but can reach as much as $75 per ticket, based on fare class. More specifically, you’ll be charged $25, $50 or $75 for economy, business or first, respectively. The currency is the equivalent of the country where the award ticket is issued.
This new booking fee is in addition to the typical fees associated with booking award flights. For example, you’ll still have to pay fuel surcharges and taxes. What’s puzzling about this new fee is that Privilege Club members are essentially being penalized for redeeming their Qmiles, further reducing the value of the currency altogether. According to TPG’s most recent valuations, Qmiles are worth 1.1 cents apiece — the only airline with miles worth less is Spirit (0.4 cents apiece).
Qatar seems to be doing away with good parts of its Qmiles program — already the least appealing of the Middle Eastern three carriers. In February, the carrier made it so members who upgraded to a premium cabin using Qmiles or Qpoints can’t receive baggage and lounge access benefits of the upgraded cabin.
While the Privilege Club program isn’t all that rewarding — especially now that it will charge you for redeeming your miles — Qatar still does offer some great onboard products that are bookable using other currencies. For example, the carrier’s premium Qsuite business class product. Instead of using Qmiles to redeem for a seat, which can actually be transferred from Citi ThankYou Points, your best bets would be to book using JAL Mileage Bank miles, American Airlines AAdvantage miles or Cathay Pacific Asia miles. Alternatively, you could use Qantas points, British Airways Avios or Malaysia Airlines Enrich miles. Check out this post for how you can search and book Qsuite with miles.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured image by Qatar Airways / YouTub.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees