Qantas will ban unvaccinated travelers when it resumes international flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas expects to relaunch international flights to the U.S. and the U.K. by Christmas, but if you want to board one of its aircraft, you better make sure you’re vaccinated.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Australia’s flagship airline has confirmed it will be implementing a policy requiring only fully vaccinated passengers to be allowed on overseas flights.
Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said the new mandate will be a necessary step for airlines once Australia reopens its borders for international travel, saying, “We think that’s going to be one of the requirements to show that you’re flying safe and getting into those countries.”
Australia’s government has announced it will have a vaccine passport for Australians to prove their vaccination status once overseas travel is allowed again.
The airline said searches for international flights have tripled since it announced its goal to restart overseas flights, with the most popular searches being for London, Los Angeles, Singapore and Tokyo.
“The population needs it,” Joyce said about traveling. “I think people want to connect together, people want to see family again. People want to do business again. There’s a lot of very important reasons why we should start opening up when we meet those key targets on the vaccination plan,” he said.
The carrier expects Australia to reopen overseas travel once the country reaches an 80% vaccination rate. But they’re not close to that number yet, with less than 40% of eligible Australians being fully vaccinated. A recent increase in cases, however, has led the government to accelerate its vaccine rollout strategy, and officials say they expect to have 70% of the population fully vaccinated by October. If that goal is reached, hitting 80% by December is considered a reasonable target.
Qantas, much like rival Virgin Australia, started an incentive program to encourage its frequent flyers to get vaccinated. Fully vaccinated members of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program could choose between 1,000 frequent flyer points, 15 status credits or a $20 flight discount voucher (to be used with either Qantas or Jetstar).
More than 300,000 people have already claimed their reward, with 75% choosing the 1,000 frequent flyer points.
Featured photo by SAEED KHAN/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees