Qantas to Start Weighing Bags at Gate in Carry-On Crackdown
Australia’s largest airline, Qantas, has announced plans to implement much stricter enforcement of carry-on or hand luggage throughout the airline’s domestic network.
To combat limited overhead bin space and the growing problem of passengers abusing carry-on luggage guidelines, Qantas will begin weighing and sizing each and every piece of hand luggage on domestic flights. As carry-on luggage has become the preferred way to transport bags for many passengers, airlines now face the problem of not having enough space in overhead bins for carry-on storage. While aircraft manufacturers like Airbus and Boeing now offer larger and more spacious overhead bins, it will take years for these new overhead bins or lockers to make their way to aircraft.
According to Traveller.au, Qantas’s Senior Manager of Corporate Communication Stephen Moynihan confirmed the airline’s plan to strictly enforce hand luggage guidelines. In a statement to Traveller.au, Moynihan said that the new and stringent hang luggage enforcement will ensure that all passengers have their “fair share” of cabin space. Moynihan went on to clarify additional benefits to passengers saying, “Ensuring that allowances are being followed will also help reduce delays during the boarding process and ensure an on-time departure.”
It should be noted that the actual carry-on/hand luggage guidelines will remain the same. The only change passengers can expect is the stricter enforcement of the pre-existing guidelines. Passengers traveling domestically on Qantas (within Australia) are allowed up to 30 pounds (~14 kg) of hand luggage with each piece weighing up to 15 pounds (~7kgs). Carry-on bags cannot be larger than a combined 45 inches (~114 cm). Qantas allows for a maximum of one 45-inch bag, a 41-inch bag and a garment bag, or two 41-inch bags. Qantas is the most generous airline with regards to carry-on/hand luggage.
Passengers traveling domestically on Qantas’ busiest routes, including Sydney to Melbourne, can expect to encounter this stricter enforcement. Upon boarding, passengers should expect to have their carry-on luggage sized and weighed. If the passenger’s hand luggage does not adhere to the baggage requirements, their luggage will be checked and will have to be retrieved at baggage claim upon arrival.
While stricter enforcement of hand luggage may appear to be more of an inconvenience than a passenger improvement, the additional baggage screening will likely enhance the overall passenger experience. While boarding might take a little longer on routes with the enhanced hand luggage enforcement, once on board the aircraft, passengers will be able to easily store their hand luggage.
(Featured image via Qantas)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.