Qantas to Start Weighing Bags at Gate in Carry-On Crackdown
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Australia’s largest airline, Qantas, has announced plans to implement much stricter enforcement of carry-on or hand luggage throughout the airline’s domestic network.
To combat limited overhead bin space and the growing problem of passengers abusing carry-on luggage guidelines, Qantas will begin weighing and sizing each and every piece of hand luggage on domestic flights. As carry-on luggage has become the preferred way to transport bags for many passengers, airlines now face the problem of not having enough space in overhead bins for carry-on storage. While aircraft manufacturers like Airbus and Boeing now offer larger and more spacious overhead bins, it will take years for these new overhead bins or lockers to make their way to aircraft.
According to Traveller.au, Qantas’s Senior Manager of Corporate Communication Stephen Moynihan confirmed the airline’s plan to strictly enforce hand luggage guidelines. In a statement to Traveller.au, Moynihan said that the new and stringent hang luggage enforcement will ensure that all passengers have their “fair share” of cabin space. Moynihan went on to clarify additional benefits to passengers saying, “Ensuring that allowances are being followed will also help reduce delays during the boarding process and ensure an on-time departure.”
It should be noted that the actual carry-on/hand luggage guidelines will remain the same. The only change passengers can expect is the stricter enforcement of the pre-existing guidelines. Passengers traveling domestically on Qantas (within Australia) are allowed up to 30 pounds (~14 kg) of hand luggage with each piece weighing up to 15 pounds (~7kgs). Carry-on bags cannot be larger than a combined 45 inches (~114 cm). Qantas allows for a maximum of one 45-inch bag, a 41-inch bag and a garment bag, or two 41-inch bags. Qantas is the most generous airline with regards to carry-on/hand luggage.
Passengers traveling domestically on Qantas’ busiest routes, including Sydney to Melbourne, can expect to encounter this stricter enforcement. Upon boarding, passengers should expect to have their carry-on luggage sized and weighed. If the passenger’s hand luggage does not adhere to the baggage requirements, their luggage will be checked and will have to be retrieved at baggage claim upon arrival.
While stricter enforcement of hand luggage may appear to be more of an inconvenience than a passenger improvement, the additional baggage screening will likely enhance the overall passenger experience. While boarding might take a little longer on routes with the enhanced hand luggage enforcement, once on board the aircraft, passengers will be able to easily store their hand luggage.
(Featured image via Qantas)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees