Destination unknown: Qantas to relaunch famous ‘mystery flight’
Does jumping on a plane blindfolded tickle your fancy?
Qantas has announced that it’s bringing back its wacky “mystery flight” experience for the first time since the 1990s — but this time, with a few added perks.
Previously, passengers would turn up for a scheduled flight to any of Qantas’ destinations, spend a day at their leisure and then return home. How very adventurous
But this time, 120 lucky ticket holders will board one of three chartered Boeing 737 flights with no idea where they’ll be landing — until they do.
A full day of all-inclusive activities will ensue before being jetted back home.
Departing from Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, the airline will give customers clues for each mystery adventure to help them with their packing. For instance, the adventure from Brisbane promises “country hospitality, gourmet food and wine, and the great outdoors”, while Sydney guarantees “the tropics, saltwater on your skin, and long lunching on the beach”.
Finally, the trip from Melbourne is for those who love “the great outdoors (including a little walking), gourmet food and wine, and regional farmers markets”.
Fares cost $737 for economy and $1,579 for business class and include meals, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage plus all activities on the ground.
Tickets go on sale on March 4, and the departure dates are below.
“You could be sipping chardonnay amongst the grapevines of an award-winning vineyard, dipping your toes in the turquoise waters of a tropical island, or enjoying country hospitality at its finest,” Qantas said in a statement.
“We’re working behind the scenes to create some truly wonderful experiences both on the ground and in the air.”
This isn’t the Australian carrier’s first “concept flight”. Last year it launched the “flight to nowhere” where a 787 Dreamliner took to the Australian skies for 8.5 hours to give passengers their plane fix.
All 134 seats sold out within 10 minutes despite the environmental concerns about a seemingly pointless flight.
Australia has taken one of the toughest approaches to the COVID-19 pandemic. All arriving passengers — those with exemptions as the borders remain closed — must undertake mandatory, hotel quarantine at their own expense — costing thousands of pounds.
Furthermore, anyone wishing to leave the country for any reason requires written government approval — Australians are unable to leave the country without it.
This has meant Qantas has not operated any long-haul flights for many months, and it does not expect to do so again until well into 2021.
Featured photo by Brendon Thorne/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees