Qantas Is Trying to Make IFE a Little More Zen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As indulgent as the phrase “me time” may sound to some, it is important to take care of yourself— especially when traveling. Between the inconsistent sleep patterns and unavoidable jetlag, recharging your batteries and relaxing isn’t such a bad idea. Thursday, Qantas announced a new in-flight meditation feature specially designed to help customers unwind in the air.
Starting in June, the Australian airline will add a series of meditation videos to its inflight entertainment. The videos are 10 minutes long and will feature aerial footage of the most beautiful landscapes around Australia. Passengers can choose from five different scenes including Australian deserts, bushlands, coasts, forests and locations at twilight as they listen to the meditation.
“Customers tell us they value being able to take time for themselves inflight and watch a movie or read a book, and now we can help them find a little extra relaxation with guided meditation,” Qantas Chief Customer Officer Vanessa Hudson said.
Qantas customers watched 22 million hours of inflight entertainment last year, according to Hudson.
TPG Editor JT Genter flew Qantas non-stop flight from Perth (PER) to Heathrow (LHR) and noted that because the airline doesn’t offer Wi-Fi on its Dreamliners, there is a heavy reliance on the entertainment system. So it comes as great news that the airline is also expanded its in-flight entertainment offerings.
Qantas has signed up with Apple Music and Audible and extended its existing partnership with Stan to offer free access to music, TV programs, movies and audiobooks both in-flight and on the ground. Under the new partnerships, Qantas passengers have a free four- month Apple Music subscription and one free audiobook per month for the first three months from the full Audible.com.au library. Also, Stan, which is currently available on Qantas Wi-Fi enabled aircraft, will now offer three months of unlimited access to TV shows and movies to new Stan customers on all Qantas flights
Offering wellness-related experiences has been a recent addition for airlines. Last year Air France launched guided meditation sessions, and Cathay Pacific added videos for in-seat yoga. Qantas meditation video series is available on YouTube and can be downloaded on the Qantas VR App.
Featured image by Boeing746/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees