Qantas is operating a nonstop test flight from London to Sydney today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas is continuing its ultra-long test flights today with a nonstop flight from London Heathrow (LHR) all the way to Sydney (SYD).
As part of its Project Sunrise initiative, the more than 10,500-mile flight, operated by a brand new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft, is lightly loaded with just a few dozen “test subjects.” They are being monitored by onboard scientists and medical experts from Charles Perkins Centre — a medical research institute affiliated with the University of Sydney — who are observing the effects of the marathon flight on things like sleep patterns, well-being and how body clocks adjust to changing so many time zones in one flight.
Rather than taking a 787 out of service for the special test flight, Qantas is using an aircraft delivered brand new from Boeing. Since the plane had to be delivered from Boeing’s Seattle (SEA) production line to Qantas in Australia, the airline had a creative way of making the most of the delivery flight by routing VH-VNJ via Los Angeles, and then London to conduct the test flight. It departed just before 6 a.m. London time (1 a.m. ET) on Thursday morning, and arrives into Sydney Friday morning.
The Australian flag carrier hopes to operate commercial flights on this route within the next few years, but no fully loaded aircraft currently have the range to make the journey of more than 11,000 miles. Qantas executives have said they plan to decide by the year’s end whether to proceed with the plan. If so, the Project Sunrise routes likely would begin in 2023 as the carrier starts taking delivery of the first aircraft that would fly them.
Qantas does operate two daily flights from London to Australia — one is operated by a Dreamliner, but to the Western Australian city of Perth (PER), which is several hours closer to London than Sydney. The other Qantas flight does fly from London to Sydney, but must make a stop to refuel in Singapore (SIN). Qantas has been working closely with both Boeing and Airbus to develop aircraft capable of flying the route non-stop with paying passengers which would give both the airline and aircraft manufacturer the honor of operating the world’s longest commercial flight.
This is not the first time Qantas has operated this route nonstop. Thirty years ago, to celebrate receiving its first dash-400 variant of the Boeing 747, it flew London to Sydney nonstop — also with a nearly-empty plane.
Qantas has already conducted a Project Sunrise test flight from New York (JFK) to Sydney. TPG was onboard for the grueling but unique experience — you can read all about Ben Mutzabaugh’s experience here.
Featured image by Qantas
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees