You can purchase access to some of Qantas’ top lounges worldwide
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re traveling internationally without lounge access, but want a bit of luxury before you depart, you may just be in luck. Qantas has begun selling access to some of its international lounges during non-peak times of the day. This was originally reported as an option at London Heathrow. Qantas has further confirmed to TPG that the option to purchase lounge access may also be available at Los Angeles (LAX), Hong Kong (HKG), Auckland (AKL), Wellington (WLG) and Perth (PER).
According to Executive Traveller, Qantas is offering access for the following prices (all prices in US dollars, rounded to nearest dollar based on local currency conversions):
- Los Angeles International First Class lounge: $150
- Los Angeles Business Class lounge: $75
- London Heathrow lounge: $70
- Hong Kong lounge: $56
- Auckland Business Class lounge: $37
- Wellington Business Class lounge: $34
- Perth T1 international lounge: $47
As with London, access in each of these cities is only during non-peak times. It’s also subject to the discretion of the lounge team. The Qantas International First lounge at LAX is one of the nicest in the United States. Located in the Tom Bradley International Terminal, this lounge has long periods where it’s not overly full.
On a departure basis, it would be really tough to justify $150 for those benefits, since this lounge doesn’t have some high-end amenities like spa services. It’s undoubtedly a beautiful space, but that’s a lot to spend for a good meal. Upon arrival from a long overseas flight or on a connecting itinerary, a hot shower and a meal certainly up the value. But, you’re probably closer to a reasonable deal paying the $75 for the business-class lounge.
Featured image by Katie Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.