Puerto Rico follows the lead of most US destinations and drops all COVID-19 restrictions for domestic visitors
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning Thursday, travelers to Puerto Rico from within the United States will no longer have to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter or enjoy the island, according to Discover Puerto Rico, the official tourism organization of the U.S. territory.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
This news follows a series of loosened requirements last month, including dropping the arrival testing requirement for vaccinated travelers on domestic flights and eliminating the seven-day quarantine for unvaccinated visitors.
Starting March 10, unvaccinated and vaccinated domestic travelers will be treated the same.
The updated guidelines released by the tourism organization will apply to all visitors regardless of vaccination status. However, international travelers are still expected to adhere to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s requirement to provide proof of a negative PCR or antigen test taken within one day of departure for the U.S. and vaccination proof.
Foreign visitors to the U.S. are considered fully vaccinated 14 days after their final dose of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or World Health Organization. At this time, a booster is not required to enter Puerto Rico.
Previous guidelines requiring businesses to cap attendance and require vaccines for entry are dropped as well, in addition to the existing indoor and outdoor mask mandate.
However, individual businesses may choose to implement their own guidelines related to health and safety, per Discover Puerto Rico, which notes that “masks are still recommended for situations where vaccination status cannot be guaranteed.”
Lastly, passengers arriving in Puerto Rico on March 10 and beyond are no longer required to fill out the Travel Declaration Form. Additional information on travel guidelines for Puerto Rico is available from Discover Puerto Rico.
Featured photo by Atlantide Phototravel/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees