Man going to federal prison for defrauding Spirit out of flights you can easily buy for $9
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Texas man will spend 30 months in federal prison after defrauding ultra-low-cost Spirit Airlines out of free flights.
Hubbard Bell, a former Mesa Airlines employee who was fired from the regional carrier after just four months, was apparently unwilling to relinquish one of the so-called perks of the job: access to free Spirit Airlines tickets.
Rather than join Spirit’s $9 Fare Club after his termination, Bell conspired to steal information (including the real names, dates of hire and employee identification numbers) from actual Mesa employees to book free Spirit flights for himself and others.
He also manufactured and sold fraudulent Mesa employee identification cards, according to a statement from the U.S. attorney’s office for the Central District of California.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The scheme lasted from February 2016 until November 2017 and resulted in at least 1,953 stolen flights. In addition to a two-and-a-half-year prison sentence, United States District Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald also ordered Bell to pay Spirit $150,000 in restitution, clearly not considering the ancillary fees these phony travelers probably paid.
“Bell unlawfully used his Mesa employee information to book … free flights for himself on [Spirit], which allowed him to fly interstate, including into and out of Los Angeles International Airport, despite the fact Mesa Airlines no longer employed him,” said the statement from the U.S. attorney’s office.
Bell only flew 34 free flights, which, at the average price of $56.19 per ticket during the time of his crimes — and often less than half as much — we can safely say was, well, not worth it.
“After spending that much time jammed up in the seats aboard Spirit,” Bell’s jail cell will feel like an upgrade, joked Brett Snyder, president of Cranky Concierge, in a newsletter to his subscribers.
Five additional defendants will face trial in April. They did not plead guilty to going through way too much work to fly Spirit.
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what’s worse: Owing Spirit Airlines $150,000 for 34 flights where you can’t even pick your seat, or Mesa Airlines rewarding its employees with free Spirit flights.
If only Bell had been a TPG reader, he would have been able to earn enough points and miles to fly for free on an airline that doesn’t charge travelers for carry-on bags, a printed boarding pass or water. All we can say, Bell, is next time: Please aim higher.
Feature photo by Jetlinerimages/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees