Princess Cruises pauses select voyages until November 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Specifically, it is pausing all cruising through March 31, 2021, and all cruises longer than seven days that sail in and out of U.S. ports through Nov. 1, 2021.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
The cruise line explained that the decision was made in order to comply with the CDC’s recently issued “Framework for Conditional Sailing Order” which bars cruise lines from offering any itinerary longer than seven days for any cruise that calls at a U.S. port.
In addition, the line said it would be extending the pause on cruises sailing to and from Japan through June 25, 2021, due to “uncertainty” over international travel restrictions.
Any cruisers affected by this latest round of cancellations will be entitled to a refundable future cruise credit equal to 100% of the fare paid, plus an additional non-refundable future cruise credit totaling 25% of the fare paid.
If you’re booked on a Princess cruise that falls into the above category, you won’t need to do anything further if you’re satisfied with taking a future cruise credit. If you’d like a refund, however, you will have to fill out this form by Dec. 31, 2020. If you don’t take any action at all by Dec. 31, you’ll be issued a future cruise credit automatically.
This extension of Princess’s pause in cruising isn’t necessarily a surprise. Currently, the U.S. is experiencing the worst surge in coronavirus cases since the pandemic began, with the United States recording a seven-day average of over 170,000 new confirmed cases per day.
Just last week, one small cruise line, SeaDream Yacht Club, ventured back into Caribbean cruising, marking the first sailing of its kind in the region since the pandemic began. Unfortunately, the ship had an outbreak of COVID-19, and led TPG’s resident cruise expert and senior reporter Gene Sloan to conclude that Americans just aren’t yet ready for a return to cruising.
Featured image courtesy of Princess Cruises.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees