Priceline Ends ‘Name Your Own Price’ for Rental Car Bookings
Starting Monday, Priceline will no longer offer the “Name Your Own Price (NYOP)” tool for car rentals and will offer express deals to take place of the NYOP feature.
With the NYOP model, Priceline allowed customers to make a suggested price and land a good deal for airfares, rental cars and hotels. For car rentals specifically, customers could choose a price, location and car type, and Priceline would find a quality rental car based on the suggestion.
The online travel agency will now offer express deals that will provide up to 40% savings, and the new process will be easier and faster, Bill Jose, senior vice president of rental cars at Priceline.com told USA Today.
“With rental cars, we have seen the consumers prefer Express Deals, and as a result we chose to make this switch,” Jose said. “The main benefit to consumers with this switch to Express Deals is with speed. Name Your Own Price for rental cars required consumers to bid and wait. With Express Deals, those steps are eliminated.”
In 2016, Priceline ended its “Name Your Own Price” for flight tickets. Priceline will continue to offer the NYOP tool for biding on hotel rooms.
“Priceline.com does not have plans to move away from Name Your Own Price for hotels,” Jose says. “Travelers see value in that offering and continue to book millions of deals at prices that are not available elsewhere.”
H/T USA Today
Featured image by minemero/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.