Pretend pilot busted for impersonating Lufthansa crew – taking free flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re all about the free flights here at TPG, but sometimes others take it to a whole new level. This story is so absurd we couldn’t make this up if we tried. As first reported by The Times of India, a man attempted to board an AirAsia flight in Delhi, claiming he was a Lufthansa captain, in order to fly for free.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The man, identified as Rajan Mahbubani, 48, was wearing a pilot’s uniform from Lufthansa and also carried an ID, though when staff attempted to verify his claim he was caught red-handed.
A swiftly dispatched team from Lufthansa’s staff at the airport confronted him and he crumbled, admitting that he’d bought the ID in Bangkok six months earlier and had been using it ever since to game his way onto flights without paying. He also stated that he’d previously used the fake pilot ID several times.
The deputy chief of police at the Delhi airport, Sanjay Bhatia, was quoted in the Times of India as saying that “there are pictures in his phone of him posing as an Army colonel” and that he had posted videos to TikTok “wearing different uniforms.”
His arrest shouldn’t have come as a surprise, as he allegedly bragged about his exploits on social media, even photographing himself in different uniforms and attempting to impress friends and family. He’d also evidently leveraged his loophole in order to score free seat upgrades and priority boarding.
Maybe someone should have told him about points and miles?
Feature photo by Marcio Rodrigo Machado/S3studio/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees