A former WOW air executive is launching an all-new Icelandic airline, PLAY
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following the collapse of Iceland-based ultra low-cost airline WOW air earlier this year, a former executive of the now defunct airline has announced plans to launch an all-new Icelandic airline called PLAY, with ticket sales to apparently commence later this month, and operations next year. The airline, however, does not at this point have aircraft or the necessary authorizations, and it doesn’t have a route network, either.
Arnar Már Magnusson, who was vice president of operations at WOW air, will head up the new venture, as announced at a press conference in Iceland earlier on Tuesday. He plans to commence operations next year, with two Airbus A321 aircraft, from Reykjavik’s main Keflavik Airport (KEF) initially to six different European destinations. Later in 2020, PLAY plans to also fly to North America, connecting passengers both to and from the popular but highly seasonal tourist destination of Iceland, as well as between Europe and North America, as Icelandair already does, and WOW air did before it ceased operations. PLAY has plans to grow to 10 aircraft within three years, which was the same fleet size as WOW air.
The new venture does not yet have an operating certificate, so it remains subject to significant regulatory approvals, though this morning they announced they have already received around $40 million in funding, primarily from overseas investors, according to local media. One of those investors is Simon Whitley-Ryan, grandson of one of the founders of Ryanair, Europe’s largest low-fare airline.
PLAY’s website is already live at flyplay.com.
This new venture is separate from the plans of eccentric U.S. businesswoman Michele Ballarin to relaunch WOW air as a cargo-only airline, which was previously reported by TPG. That airline is currently scheduled to commence flights next month. When and if “WOW 2.0” commenced operations, this will be separate from the PLAY concept.
Featured image from PLAY Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees