Pittsburgh Airport Opens ‘Sensory Room’ to Help Flyers With Autism
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flying can be stressful for everyone. But for travelers with autism, crowded airports and their bright lights and unfamiliar sounds can be particularly overwhelming.
This is why Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) says it has opened “Presley’s Place,” a 1,500-square-foot “sensory-friendly” space for passengers young and old to de-stress and acclimate to the experience of traveling in a controlled and safe place.
“We want to make flying accessible to everyone,” Pittsburgh International Airport CEO Christina Cassotis said in a statement. “This room is an opportunity for special needs travelers from children to adults to have a place to decompress and get prepared to fly.”
The new space at PIT is located off of Concourse A. It features a family area, private rooms and part of an American Airlines cabin, meant to help familiarize passengers with the flying experience in a non-intimidating way. The entire area is soundproofed and is meant to serve children and adult passengers.
The space was designed with help from advocacy groups, as well as individuals and caregivers of children with neurodevelopment challenges, who provided input on features the space might need. The original plan came from airport employee Jason Rudge, whose 4-year old son Presley gave him the idea.
“A caregiver for a kid with autism might think, ‘I’m never going to be able to fly anywhere with my family — it’s too hard to travel with someone with autism,’” Rudge said. “Having a sensory room at the airport changes that thinking to, ‘Maybe we can take that trip after all.’”
Presley’s Place is now open, and the American Airlines cabin — dubbed by PIT as an “airplane experience” area — will also be open to passengers during first-time flyers classes meant to reduce fear and anxiety in travelers new to flying.
Featured photo courtesy of PIT.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees