Pilot Suspended for Bringing Wife Into Plane’s Cockpit During Flight — Twice
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A pilot for Chinese airline Donghai was recently suspended for six months and fined $1,750 for letting his wife enter the cockpit of the plane he was flying not once –but twice.
Mr. Chen, the pilot for the Shenzhen-based airline, was flying from Nantong, Jiangsu province, to Lanzhou, Gansu, with a stop in Zhengzhou, Henan, and then from Lanzhou to Beijing on July 28 when the incident happened. According to the South China Morning Post, the airline “did not say at what stage the woman was in the cockpit or how long she had spent there.”
Chen’s wife was ticketed for the Nantong –> Zhengzhou leg of the flight, but not the trip onto Lanzhou or the flight to Beijing. In addition to being suspended and fined, Chen was also ordered to repay the cost of the skipped airfare.
According to a statement read in court, Chen “violated operating procedures and air safety regulations,” and “abused his rights as a pilot, overlooked the rules and the bottom line, and acted against the advice of others.” The pilot’s “qualifications as a flying instructor with the company” have also been revoked.
Chen’s co-pilots were also suspended for 15 days and fined 6,000 yuan, as well as a flight safety officer who is facing a 500 yuan fine. The airline says it will work to “improve safety measures to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.