Pilot Suspended for Bringing Wife Into Plane’s Cockpit During Flight — Twice
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A pilot for Chinese airline Donghai was recently suspended for six months and fined $1,750 for letting his wife enter the cockpit of the plane he was flying not once –but twice.
Mr. Chen, the pilot for the Shenzhen-based airline, was flying from Nantong, Jiangsu province, to Lanzhou, Gansu, with a stop in Zhengzhou, Henan, and then from Lanzhou to Beijing on July 28 when the incident happened. According to the South China Morning Post, the airline “did not say at what stage the woman was in the cockpit or how long she had spent there.”
Chen’s wife was ticketed for the Nantong –> Zhengzhou leg of the flight, but not the trip onto Lanzhou or the flight to Beijing. In addition to being suspended and fined, Chen was also ordered to repay the cost of the skipped airfare.
According to a statement read in court, Chen “violated operating procedures and air safety regulations,” and “abused his rights as a pilot, overlooked the rules and the bottom line, and acted against the advice of others.” The pilot’s “qualifications as a flying instructor with the company” have also been revoked.
Chen’s co-pilots were also suspended for 15 days and fined 6,000 yuan, as well as a flight safety officer who is facing a 500 yuan fine. The airline says it will work to “improve safety measures to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees