Pakistan International Airlines Tells Cabin Crew to Lose Weight or Don’t Fly
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a season of dietary penance for holiday binging and New Year’s resolutions centered on weight loss, Pakistan International Airlines has set a hard and fast health goal for its cabin crew staff: Meet our weight requirements or you’re off the job.
That is what a new internal memo to airline employees obtained by local media says. The memo lays out a plan for cabin crew members to lose 30 pounds of excess weight by July — shedding five pounds a month for six months. Any employee who doesn’t meet the weight requirement, which is the standard body mass index (BMI), will not be permitted to work their scheduled flights.
“If any crew found above 30 lbs from the desired weight after 31st Jan, 2019, will be grounded and referred to Air Crew Medical Center for medical evaluation and treatment until weight is reduced up to desired standard / BMI,” the staff memo reads, noting that weight checks for cabin crew will be carried out at the staff’s base stations. The employees’ “comprehensive” weight measurements will be “maintained for the perusal of Management,” the official note says.
The memo is signed by Aamir Bashir, the national flag carrier’s general manager of flight services and concludes by stating that “strict compliance is required.”
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.