Pakistan International Airlines Tells Cabin Crew to Lose Weight or Don’t Fly
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a season of dietary penance for holiday binging and New Year’s resolutions centered on weight loss, Pakistan International Airlines has set a hard and fast health goal for its cabin crew staff: Meet our weight requirements or you’re off the job.
That is what a new internal memo to airline employees obtained by local media says. The memo lays out a plan for cabin crew members to lose 30 pounds of excess weight by July — shedding five pounds a month for six months. Any employee who doesn’t meet the weight requirement, which is the standard body mass index (BMI), will not be permitted to work their scheduled flights.
“If any crew found above 30 lbs from the desired weight after 31st Jan, 2019, will be grounded and referred to Air Crew Medical Center for medical evaluation and treatment until weight is reduced up to desired standard / BMI,” the staff memo reads, noting that weight checks for cabin crew will be carried out at the staff’s base stations. The employees’ “comprehensive” weight measurements will be “maintained for the perusal of Management,” the official note says.
The memo is signed by Aamir Bashir, the national flag carrier’s general manager of flight services and concludes by stating that “strict compliance is required.”
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.