You’ll Soon Be Able to Again Visit the Famed Boracay Island
Nearly six months ago, the Philippine government closed one of the world’s most famous islands, Boracay. This week — after an extensive effort to clean and restore the isle that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte deemed a “cesspool” — Boracay entered a 10-day dry run, during which only Filipino tourists will be permitted, with priority given to local residents.
The island will officially open to all tourists on Oct. 26, though even that’s considered a soft opening.
“We want to invite the airlines [and] the tour operators so that they can see what Boracay is before they actually promote it, and before the soft opening,” tourism secretary Berna Romulo-Puyat told CNN Philippines.
Puyat also noted that though the beaches are clean, rehabilitation work is still being done to restore the island. Since April, a task force has been working to remove garbage, to redirect sewage pipes that drained into the sea, to repair roads and to implement sustainable practices at hotels, shops and spas.
Hotels that are found non-compliant will be “dealt with full force of law,” the Department of Transportation said in a statement published on Oct. 13. At last count, fewer than 70 properties had been given permission to accept reservations and promote inventory. Among them: the Best Western Boracay Tropics and Boracay Mandarin Island Hotel.
“When we relaunch Boracay, it [will] be a better destination, more environment-friendly…” said the Philippines’ undersecretary for tourism development, Benito Bengzon Jr., in a statement.
“More important than anything else,” Bengzon said, “we [must] avoid the problems that led to its closure in the first place.”
According to the Philippine news website, Rappler, there will be strict new rules enforced on Boracay. Among them: no more beach parties. The number of tourists permitted on the island each day will be capped, single-use plastics (think: plastic straws and mini hotel shampoo bottles) will be banned, sandcastle-making will be “regulated” and a ban on beach smoking will be “strictly enforced.”
It may no longer be possible to get a beach massage either, and diving and other activities remain suspended while the marine ecosystem recovers from years of overtourism. Travelers may also find that flights to Godofredo P. Ramos, or Caticlan Airport (MPH) and Kalibo International Airport (KLO) are limited in the future. Both are located in the Aklan province.
In the following months, travelers can expect to see a massive advertising campaign announcing the reopening of Boracay, while also promoting alternative destinations. Travelers should still be thoughtful about visiting less-heavily touristed islands such as Pamalican (home to the Amanpulo resort), Busuanga and Bohol Island.
Feature photo by NOEL CELIS/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.