People Are Falling for Those Viral ‘Win a Free Trip to the Maldives’ Social Media Posts
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As TPG’s resident social media manager, I spend a lot of my time on the Internet for work — an Internet explorer, if you will. And it’s come to my attention that we have a little bit of a social situation on our hands.
I’m talking about those “WIN A TRIP TO *INSERT BEAUTIFUL EXOTIC LOCATION HERE*” posts that everyone and their mother seems to be sharing these days. You know the ones: They feature insanely blue water, beaches for days, and plenty of overwater bungalows, whether it’s in Bora Bora or the Maldives. They look absolutely perfect, except for the fact that they’re not real. Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but someone’s gotta do it.
Let’s use this post that my lovely aunt shared as an example:
Now, I can’t say I blame her at all for wanting to win a getaway to Bora Bora. I mean, just look at that water! But let’s take a closer look at the page that is promoting it — aptly named “Vacation.”
A good indication that it’s as fake as a Chanel bag from Canal Street is the fact that it’s not verified and is literally just titled “Vacation.” Last time I checked, there’s no such reputable company that’s called “Vacation,” but hey, what do I know? I just work here.
The “About” section is even worse. “Vacation” provides no actual information as to what they do, who they are, or where they are. Nada. Zilch. It does let you send them a message, though, but I’m willing to bet they’re not really the most responsive Facebook page in the game.
Another dead giveaway that it’s fake is in the, well, giveaway itself. There’s no mention of what hotel the stay will be at. Is it the St. Regis? What airline are they giving you flights on? When would you have to fly? There also aren’t any official terms and conditions, which is a big no-no for any giveaway in the history of the Internet.
If you really have a good eye, you’ll also notice that they said “Unfortunately, the winner of the big draw (Patricia Simons) was from Canada and not USA as was required and unable to claim their prize.” Virtually every single one of these “giveaways” says something like this. And as we just talked about before, where are the official terms and conditions anyway that say you have to be from the US? Like I said, methinks we have a bit of a social situation here.
So next time you (or someone you know) thinks they’re about to head to the airport and to island paradise, maybe don’t start packing just yet. And if you want a free trip to the Maldives, we do know a site that might be able to help.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees