Passengers Most Trust Airline Pilots With Midwestern Accents
When a pilot comes over an aircraft loudspeaker, it’s usually to give important flight information to passengers or reassure them about an issue like turbulence.
But, according to a new survey, some pilots’ voices are more trustworthy than others. Specifically, commercial airline passengers have the most confidence in pilots with Upper Midwestern accents — like Wisconsinites or Minnesotans — at the helm of an aircraft. Their counterparts from Texas, however, do not fair so well. Of the 4,207 American flyers surveyed, 65% said that a Texas accent was the least confidence-inspiring in a pilot.
A pilot’s voice, often the only identifying detail passengers have of their cockpit crew, is a major factor in whether flyers trust the person at the flight controls. A majority of passengers surveyed — 54% — said that a pilot’s accent affected their confidence in his or her ability to perform their duties.
The survey was conducted by budget travel site Jetcost. Participants were US passengers who had flown in the past year. They were presented with a range of English-speaking accents and asked which ones would instill the least confidence in their pilots.
Here are the top five most and least confidence-inspiring pilots’ accents:
Least Confidence-Inspiring Pilot Accents:
- Texan — 65%
- New York — 59%
- General American — 54%
- Central Canadian — 45%
- Southwestern US — 37%
Most Confidence-Inspiring Pilot Accents:
- Upper Midwestern — 63%
- Southern Californian — 58%
- Great Lakes — 51%
- British — 47%
- Eastern New England — 39%
H/T: LA Times
Featured image by Digital Vision / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.