Passenger Shouts “Bomba,” Disrupts Flight to Salt Lake City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on United Airlines Flight 570 from Denver (DEN) to Salt Lake City (SLC) had a bad scare on the tarmac Sunday night when an unidentified fellow passenger suddenly began yelling “Bomba” and started a fight as he climbed over the back of his seat to open the emergency door of the plane.
According to passenger Tara Kraatz, the plane was pulling back from the gate late in the evening on April 15 when the passenger stood up, started yelling “bomba,” and opened the emergency door while striking at fellow travelers. “He scared the shit out of all the passengers on the plane,” said Kraatz, who told Fox 13 Salt Lake City that “I thought the same thing as 9-11, that we’re just not going to make it. It was just scary, and I started to cry.”
Another passenger, identified only by the first name Steve, told Fox News that “all hell broke loose, really.” According to Steve, the man “climbed over the back of his seat, and started striking the passenger behind him. He then shouted out ‘bomba, bomba.'”
Cabin crew and fellow passengers helped calm the man back into his seat as the plane returned to the gate. Then all passengers were asked to disembark in order to board another flight to Salt Lake City a couple of hours later.
United Airlines spokesperson Andrea Hiller confirmed the incident, saying, “Flight 570 from Denver to Salt Lake City returned to the gate after a customer attempted to open the exit door. Law enforcement officials met the flight, which re-departed for Salt Lake City on a different aircraft.”
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees