Passenger Shouts “Bomba,” Disrupts Flight to Salt Lake City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on United Airlines Flight 570 from Denver (DEN) to Salt Lake City (SLC) had a bad scare on the tarmac Sunday night when an unidentified fellow passenger suddenly began yelling “Bomba” and started a fight as he climbed over the back of his seat to open the emergency door of the plane.
According to passenger Tara Kraatz, the plane was pulling back from the gate late in the evening on April 15 when the passenger stood up, started yelling “bomba,” and opened the emergency door while striking at fellow travelers. “He scared the shit out of all the passengers on the plane,” said Kraatz, who told Fox 13 Salt Lake City that “I thought the same thing as 9-11, that we’re just not going to make it. It was just scary, and I started to cry.”
Another passenger, identified only by the first name Steve, told Fox News that “all hell broke loose, really.” According to Steve, the man “climbed over the back of his seat, and started striking the passenger behind him. He then shouted out ‘bomba, bomba.'”
Cabin crew and fellow passengers helped calm the man back into his seat as the plane returned to the gate. Then all passengers were asked to disembark in order to board another flight to Salt Lake City a couple of hours later.
United Airlines spokesperson Andrea Hiller confirmed the incident, saying, “Flight 570 from Denver to Salt Lake City returned to the gate after a customer attempted to open the exit door. Law enforcement officials met the flight, which re-departed for Salt Lake City on a different aircraft.”
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.